[comp.unix.xenix.sco] cwd help needed

creider@uwocsd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) (10/04/90)

Would someone help a newuser? How does one write the equivalent to
the familiar:

alias	cd	'cd \!* ; echo $cwd'

i.e., is there an equivalent to $cwd (csh, SCO OS)?

Thanks

Chet Creider
creider@csd.uwo.ca

mark@hsi.com. (Mark Sicignano) (10/07/90)

In article <1084@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> creider@uwocsd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:
 >Would someone help a newuser? How does one write the equivalent to
 >the familiar:
 >
 >alias  cd      'cd \!* ; echo $cwd'
 >
 >i.e., is there an equivalent to $cwd (csh, SCO OS)?

alias   cd      'cd \!* ; echo `pwd`'

--
Mark Sicignano                                  ...!uunet!hsi!mark
3M Health Information Systems                   mark@hsi.com

cliffb@cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) (10/07/90)

In article <1084@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> creider@uwocsd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:
>Would someone help a newuser? How does one write the equivalent to
>the familiar:
>
>alias	cd	'cd \!* ; echo $cwd'
>
>i.e., is there an equivalent to $cwd (csh, SCO OS)?
>
>Thanks
>
>Chet Creider
>creider@csd.uwo.ca

The following works

	set prompt="`pwd` : " 		# set prompt string
	alias cd 'cd \!*;set prompt = "`pwd` : "'

jpr@jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/15/90)

In article <2264@hsi86.hsi.com.> mark@hsi.com (Mark Sicignano) writes:
>In article <1084@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> creider@uwocsd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:
> >Would someone help a newuser? How does one write the equivalent to
> >the familiar:
> >
> >alias  cd      'cd \!* ; echo $cwd'
> >
> >i.e., is there an equivalent to $cwd (csh, SCO OS)?
> >

>alias   cd      'cd \!* ; echo `pwd`'

Nope.
Mark, have you tried it?
--
 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr@jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341

In article <1990Oct6.233758.7959@cjbsys.bdb.com> cliffb@cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) writes:
>In article <1084@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> creider@uwocsd.uwo.ca (Chet Creider) writes:
>>Would someone help a newuser? How does one write the equivalent to
>>the familiar:
>>	alias	cd	'cd \!* ; echo $cwd'
>>
>>i.e., is there an equivalent to $cwd (csh, SCO OS)?
>
>The following works
>
>	set prompt="`pwd` : " 		# set prompt string
>	alias cd 'cd \!*;set prompt = "`pwd` : "'

Some one asked me for a fancy two-line prompt, such as:

	alias cd 'cd \!* ; set prompt="`pwd` \\\
	`tput smso``logname` \\!>`tput rmso`"'

If you really want such a thing, then speed it up:

	set SMSO = `tput smso`
	set RMSO = `tput rmso`
	set LOGNAME = `logname`
	alias cd 'cd \!* ; set prompt = "`pwd` \\\
	$SMSO$LOGNAME \\!>$RMSO"'
--
 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr@jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341