[comp.unix.xenix.sco] multiport serial board info needed

spyen@cup.portal.com (Shyh Pei Yen) (10/14/90)

[]

I am going to set up a 386 PC based UNIX with dumb terminals connected. I
really appreciate any information on the multiport board. My questions are

1. How many different types of board are available in the market right now?

2. Which company is in the leading position right now?

3. How hard it is to set these up?

4. Pricing?

5. Do you encounter any problem with your current board?

6. Whatever question you have in mind that I haven't thought about.   :-)

Any info will help. Thanks

Shyh-Pei Yen

USENET:  spyen@cup.portal.com

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (10/15/90)

In article <34824@cup.portal.com> spyen@cup.portal.com (Shyh Pei Yen) writes:
>I am going to set up a 386 PC based UNIX with dumb terminals connected. I
>really appreciate any information on the multiport board. My questions are
>1. How many different types of board are available in the market right now?
>2. Which company is in the leading position right now?
>3. How hard it is to set these up?
>4. Pricing?
>5. Do you encounter any problem with your current board?
>6. Whatever question you have in mind that I haven't thought about.   :-)
>Shyh-Pei Yen
>USENET:  spyen@cup.portal.com

There seems to a lot of different opinions on this
particular subject.  There have been quite a few messages
regarding this subject in several newsgroups and sco mailing list.

There seems to be a lot of personal preferences on this subject.
We have tested boards from StarGate, CompuTone, DigiBoard, Wyse,
and Stallion.

OUR personal preferences are the CompuTone boards, although the
Stallion (originally Anvil) are pretty nice.

The Wyse boards are VERY sensitive to surges and will go out during
the slightest storm (WY995 board).
StarGate boards did not seem to give much performance.
The DigiBoards did basically what we had intended but we ran into
problems with Tech Support.
The Stallion boards are technically competent from what we have seen,but
they seem to be very pricey.

The CompuTone boards are still performing very well.
We have used them under Xenix and also PC-MOS/386 and have performed
reliably and faithfully for several years now.
Relatively easy to setup, and support has been very good from CompuTone.

I do caution that you will probably hear all different sides on this
subject.  So be prepared.  People seem to get very personnaly involved
with their board choice.

--

cat@tygra.ddmi.com (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) (10/15/90)

In article <209@consult.UUCP> bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
}The DigiBoards did basically what we had intended but we ran into
}problems with Tech Support.

Hmmm - thats strange. All DigiBoard personell are UNIX experts and
have always been able to solve any of prolems for myself and my
customers.

We carry the complete line DigiBoard and Telebit products and have
always been happy with the service. (More info can be had by
sending e-mail to DigiBoard_Info@DDMI.COM). Please feel free to
write for technical advice or product info.

We also provide a computer conference for the discussion of DigiBoard
and Telebit products on The CAT-TALK System (313-343-0800).

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) (10/17/90)

In article <1510@kluge.fiu.edu>, ie43gn1f@serss0.fiu.edu (Wolf Kozel) writes:
> In article <209@consult.UUCP> bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
> >I do caution that you will probably hear all different sides on this
> >subject.  So be prepared.  People seem to get very personnaly involved
> >with their board choice.
> >

> You ain't kidding!
> Serial port boards are the heart of any multiuser system.

True enough; let's not forget the other organs.

> Serial port boards are my life!

Well, that's certainly strong.  They are a goodly number of hours/day in my
life, too (along with other technologies), but everything in moderation.
Every now and then, I like to spend time with my wife and kids :-))

> Wolf Kozel
> :-)
> Formerly of Arnet, now with Equinox.

Atta boy.

--
Rob Peglar	Comtrol Corp.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
		A Control Systems Company	(800) 926-6876

...uunet!csinc!rpeglar

jak@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Jay A. Konigsberg) (10/22/90)

In article <437@tygra.ddmi.com> cat@tygra.ddmi.com (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) writes:
>In article <209@consult.UUCP> bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
>}The DigiBoards did basically what we had intended but we ran into
>}problems with Tech Support.
>
>Hmmm - thats strange. All DigiBoard personell are UNIX experts and
>have always been able to solve any of prolems for myself and my
>customers.

I'll second that. As far as support goes, DigiBoard provides excellent
service! In fact, they are about the most responsive I've ever
encountered.

When tracing a terminal freeze problem, Digi identified it to be the
version of the device driver that was in use (2.3) and mailed me a
current version (4.5) for _free_ :-) In fact, _all_ DigiBoard
software is free (or so tech support told me).

In short, the support Digi is providing and the fact that they will
work with you to solve a problem, even if it isn't their fault,
impresses me.

Jay @ SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.   UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0!jak
If something is worth doing, it's worth doing correctly.

dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) (10/22/90)

We are looking for a board with good multi-screens.  Mscreen just doesn't cut
the mustard and if we can have everything done on the I/O board, then we can
save the extra CPU processing as well as memory.

We have been using Computone and Arnet.  Computone gave us problem with modems
and Arnet just doesn't seem to be keeping up with our needs.  At Spring Comdex
Arnet were TALKING about Simuliport, but nothing was definite.

Does anyone have anything postitive ornegative to say about the Consensys
Powerports/HD.  It allows for up to 8 multi-screens on any terminal as well
as other pretty impressive features.  We are about to lay out just over $4,000
for 64 ports and if you could save us from a $4,000 mistake we would REALLY
appreciate it!!

Grateful for any input

--david
-------                                                                 -------
David E. Taylor, OMSS UNIX Development // Operation Mobilization USA
AT&T: (404) 631-0432  +====+  UUCP: {decvax, sun!sunatl, gatech}!emory!omusa!dt
FAX:  (404) 631-0439  +====+  Internet: dt%omusa.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu
--
-------                                                                 -------
David E. Taylor, OMSS UNIX Development // Operation Mobilization USA

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (10/24/90)

dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) writes:

>We are looking for a board with good multi-screens.  Mscreen just doesn't cut
>the mustard and if we can have everything done on the I/O board, then we can
>save the extra CPU processing as well as memory.

[ Removed stuff about specific vendors ]

We've found the Specialix boards and their multiple screens work very
well.  However...

I'd have to ask "Why worry about the hardware vendor?  Why not try
MultiView?"

No, I don't own stock in JSB (who makes MultiView) or SCO (who sells
it for XENIX).  I DO use it and LOVE it.  Little windows all over my
terminal screen and stuff.  Print screen and cut and paste and...

It's pretty neat.  Might be worth considering, and it's independent of
the multiport board vendors!  Some of the board vendors (Stallion is
one, I believe) have included some stuff to optimize the functioning
of MultiView, too.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.190858.20931@mrspoc.Transact.COM> itkin@guinan.Transact.COM writes:
>dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) writes:
>
>>We are looking for a board with good multi-screens.  Mscreen just doesn't cut
>>the mustard and if we can have everything done on the I/O board, then we can
>>save the extra CPU processing as well as memory.

[ Removed stuff about specific vendors ]
>I'd have to ask "Why worry about the hardware vendor?  Why not try
>MultiView?"
>
>No, I don't own stock in JSB (who makes MultiView) or SCO (who sells
>it for XENIX).  I DO use it and LOVE it.  Little windows all over my
>terminal screen and stuff.  Print screen and cut and paste and...

Multiview IS a very nice product, BUT there are a couple of limitations that
probably wouldn't matter to most people, but we will have about 40 people on
our system by the end of the year and multiview can only run on 32 real
terminals at one time.  Another limitation that seems a little less significant
is 192 windows system-wide.

We are really impressed by the flexiblity of the menuing system, but we have to
have it on all terminals or no terminals.  Is anyone award of a Multiview up-
grade to more terminals?

Thanks in advance...

--david

-------                                                                 -------

art@icdi70.COMPU.COM (Art @ Home) (10/25/90)

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:

> dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) writes:
>
> >We are looking for a board with good multi-screens.  Mscreen just doesn't cu
> >the mustard and if we can have everything done on the I/O board, then we can
> >save the extra CPU processing as well as memory.
>
> [ Removed stuff about specific vendors ]
>
> We've found the Specialix boards and their multiple screens work very
> well.  However...
>
> I'd have to ask "Why worry about the hardware vendor?  Why not try
> MultiView?"
>
> No, I don't own stock in JSB (who makes MultiView) or SCO (who sells
> it for XENIX).  I DO use it and LOVE it.  Little windows all over my
> terminal screen and stuff.  Print screen and cut and paste and...
>
> It's pretty neat.  Might be worth considering, and it's independent of
> the multiport board vendors!  Some of the board vendors (Stallion is
> one, I believe) have included some stuff to optimize the functioning
> of MultiView, too.
> --
>  +---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~
>  :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California
>  :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM

I would be happy to send info on multi-view to the original poster, and
anyone who requests it. It really is as good as this post says. It's only
downfall is that it is a bit of a memory hog....otherwise, real nice!!

Art

#                                                                     #
# It's time to make a new sig file. I'll make it when I think of one. #
# This sig belongs to art@icdi70.COMPU.COM.                           #
#                                                                     #

art@icdi70.COMPU.COM (Art @ Home) (10/25/90)

dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) writes:

> In article <1990Oct23.190858.20931@mrspoc.Transact.COM> itkin@guinan.Transact
> >dt@mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) writes:
> >
> >>We are looking for a board with good multi-screens.  Mscreen just doesn't c
> >>the mustard and if we can have everything done on the I/O board, then we ca
> >>save the extra CPU processing as well as memory.
> >
> [ Removed stuff about specific vendors ]
> >I'd have to ask "Why worry about the hardware vendor?  Why not try
> >MultiView?"
> >
> >No, I don't own stock in JSB (who makes MultiView) or SCO (who sells
> >it for XENIX).  I DO use it and LOVE it.  Little windows all over my
> >terminal screen and stuff.  Print screen and cut and paste and...
>
> Multiview IS a very nice product, BUT there are a couple of limitations that
> probably wouldn't matter to most people, but we will have about 40 people on
> our system by the end of the year and multiview can only run on 32 real
> terminals at one time.  Another limitation that seems a little less significa
> is 192 windows system-wide.
>
> We are really impressed by the flexiblity of the menuing system, but we have
> have it on all terminals or no terminals.  Is anyone award of a Multiview up-
> grade to more terminals?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>

> --david
>
> -------                                                                 -----
> David E. Taylor, OMSS UNIX Development // Operation Mobilization USA
> AT&T: (404) 631-0432  +====+  UUCP:  {decvax, sun!sunatl, gatech}!emory!omusa
> FAX:  (404) 631-0439  +====+  Internet: dt%omusa.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu
> --
> David E. Taylor, OMSS UNIX Development // Operation Mobilization USA
> AT&T: (404) 631-0432  +====+  UUCP:    {decvax, sun!sunatl, gatech}!emory!om!
> FAX:  (404) 631-0439  +====+  Internet: dt%om.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu

Usage (to my knowledge) is determined by .login. Not sure on the upgrade,
will check if you like.

Art