[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO TCP/IP for XENTX Runtime System: OPINIONS/COMMENTS WANTED!

s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Admiral Richard Muirden) (10/17/90)

hi,

Today I was given a blank order form and asked to order SCO's TCP/IP. Now
this is all very nice but I'd like to know how well [or badly] it performs
on a 386 system. We are running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an 80386/20.

Some things I would like to know:

* What is the latest version available
* What are its features (ie: telnet, rlogin, ftp, else?)
* What are its limits?
* Have you found any bugs in the s/w?
* Is there a better (cheaper?) product availble that will run on SCO Xenix.
* Will it run with a 3Com Etherlink I (3C501) or Etherlink II (3C503) without
  problems?

Also we are looking at getting the runtime system. Will this have all I nned?
what exactly is the difference between the TCP/IP RTS and the Devsys.

I will post a summary of any/all replies.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Richard.

Richard Muirden            Humble Computer Science Student and Star Trek fan!

    Spock: "Humans smile with so little provocation" ("Journey to Babel")
I am only a student of RMIT, my opinions (expressed or otherwise) are my own.

                     Mail: s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (10/18/90)

s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Admiral Richard Muirden) writes:

> SCO's TCP/IP
> I'd like to know how well [or badly] it performs
> on a 386 system. We are running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an 80386/20.

>* What is the latest version available

The first "proper release" is the current 1.0.1, which I haven't had time
to unpack yet -- I've only used the "beta" 1.0.0 version.

>* What are its features (ie: telnet, rlogin, ftp, else?)

All that, yes.  Only thing you can't have is NFS, because the marketing
folks at SCO refuse to allow themselves to develop/sell the FileSystemSwitch
for Xenix because that would nuke 90% of the sales of SCO Unix :-)

>* Is there a better (cheaper?) product availble that will run on SCO Xenix.

Not that I know of.

> Also we are looking at getting the runtime system. Will this have all I nned?

You will need to purchase the "streams" runtime package as well.  I found this
out halfway through the installation guide to the TCP runtime :-(

> what exactly is the difference between the TCP/IP RTS and the Devsys.

The devsys provides a 4.3 BSD compatible socket library.  I used the beta
version to compile NNTP 1.5.<I can't remember which patchlevel> more or less
out of the packet, and it worked fine.  You need to purchase the devsys
*in addition* to the RTS if you want to compile any networking programs
on your own.

> I will post a summary of any/all replies.

Oops. :-)
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

cch0241@smarine.UUCP (Chris Hapgood) (10/18/90)

You might try looking at LAN WorkPlace for XENIX 386 from Excelan, now
a division of Novell.  I have been using their product for about a year
and I am very impressed with the telnet/FTP/r-utilities/SMTP suite.
I am somewhat dissappointed with their XENIX-NET integration, but
that may not be an issue.

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (10/19/90)

In <6044@minyos.xx.rmit.oz> s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Admiral Richard Muirden) writes:

>Today I was given a blank order form and asked to order SCO's TCP/IP.

>Some things I would like to know:

>* What is the latest version available

I've heard of 1.0.1h.

>* What are its features (ie: telnet, rlogin, ftp, else?)

telnet, rlogin, ftp, rcmd (what's usually called rsh), routed (no gated)

>* Will it run with a 3Com Etherlink I (3C501) or Etherlink II (3C503) without
>  problems?

Don't know about the 301, but it runs with the 3c503.  It does NOT run
with the 3c505.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

In article <1990Oct17.182201.1878@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:

   You will need to purchase the "streams" runtime package as well.  I
   found this out halfway through the installation guide to the TCP
   runtime :-(

Yes, the stupid installation guide lets you get halfway through the
TCP/IP installation process before it say "Oh, you *did* install the
Streams RT first, didn't you?"  Being a Unix Idiot (tm), I had to
reboot, which screwed my filesystem, so I ended up doing a complete
reinstall of Xenix.

I was not happy...   Lesson for the day: install the Streams RT first...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson