[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Upgrade Path SCO

rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) (10/15/90)

I was just informed that there is no upgrade path for
SCO XENIX customers to move to SCO UNIX platform.  It is
very unfortunate, if this is so.  I like to know whether
this is a worldwide policy, or its just outside the US?

Rafee
MIMOS (Malaysian Inst. of Microelectronic Systems)
rafee@rangkom.ism.MY
uunet!mimos!rafee

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (10/16/90)

In article <302@rangkom.MY>, rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) writes:
> I was just informed that there is no upgrade path for
> SCO XENIX customers to move to SCO UNIX platform.  It is
> very unfortunate, if this is so.  I like to know whether
> this is a worldwide policy, or its just outside the US?

This is typical of SCO. Every time they introduce a new version of a product

BEND OVER - HERE IT COMES AGAIN    $$$$$$$

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

tb@PEM-Stuttgart.de (Tillmann Basien) (10/17/90)

rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) writes:

>I was just informed that there is no upgrade path for
>SCO XENIX customers to move to SCO UNIX platform.  It is
>very unfortunate, if this is so.  I like to know whether
>this is a worldwide policy, or its just outside the US?

		Yes it is a very fine offer from SCO and it is worldwide.

		Tillmann
--
Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien                Programmentwicklung fuer Microcomputer
Vaihinger Str.49, PostBox 810165		      +49-711-713047	FAX

richardt@sco.COM (Richard Trivett) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct17.072908.13613@PEM-Stuttgart.de> tb@PEM-Stuttgart.de (Tillmann Basien) writes:
>rafee@rangkom.MY (M Rafee Yusoff) writes:
>
>>I was just informed that there is no upgrade path for
>>SCO XENIX customers to move to SCO UNIX platform.  It is
>>very unfortunate, if this is so.  I like to know whether
>>this is a worldwide policy, or its just outside the US?
>
>		Yes it is a very fine offer from SCO and it is worldwide.

Just to clarify, there is an upgrade path available from SCO
XENIX to SCO UNIX, both inside the US and internationally. Further,
there is an upgrade from XENIX or UNIX to Open Desktop, and from
any vendors UNIX to Open Desktop. The upgrade is available
from any SCO Advanced Product Center, or from SCO if you have SoftTech
or SoftCare (whoops --- does this sound too 'sales' like? Trying to
give correct info not encourage flames :-) ). You must send in the N1
floppy from the version you are currently running (as part of the
order) to receive the upgrade.
						- Rich

jaffe@hoss.unl.edu (David Jaffe) (10/23/90)

Sure, formally there is an upgrade procedure from xenix to unix, but it's
cost is prohibitive.  To upgrade both the operating and development systems
costs $1100, retail.  What really pisses me off is the following quote from
an SCO Background Paper, dated 9/88:

     Q:  Should I wait for SCO UNIX System V / Release 3.2 to become
	 available rather than buying SCO XENIX Release 2.3 today?

     A:  There's no need to wait.  SCO XENIX Release 2.3 offers effective
	 solutions for your current business problems, provides UNIX
	 binary compatibility, and also provides a direct upgrade path to
	 SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.

David Jaffe (jaffe@hoss.unl.edu)
University of Nebraska  --  Lincoln

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (10/25/90)

jaffe@hoss.unl.edu (David Jaffe) writes:

>Sure, formally there is an upgrade procedure from xenix to unix, but it's
>cost is prohibitive.  To upgrade both the operating and development systems
>costs $1100, retail.  What really pisses me off is the following quote from
>an SCO Background Paper, dated 9/88:

	I've also looked into the upgrade procedure. SCO directed me to
my local distributor who, in checking back with SCO, advised that an "upgrade"
would cost more than a new package. As an example, upgrading from my multi-
user Xenix/386 to Open Desktop (two-user) would cost $995 (no discount),
while a brand new package - which RETAILS for $995! - could be had for around
$700! The same pattern held for a straight Xenix-to-UNIX upgrade and the
Software Development System.

	This info comes from two distributors. If this procedure holds,
forget about a formal upgrade. Sell or pass on your old Xenix, and buy a
new package from one offering a good price.

zaz@jersey (Todd Koeckeritz) (10/27/90)

Are all of you folks really sure you want to do this ?  I have gone
through the pain of "upgrading" from SCO xenix to SCO unix and have
been unable to fully recover from the trauma in the three weeks I have
been fighting it.  I am not even yet fighting the problem of getting
old software running, I am just trying to keep a _very_ vannila
version of the OS up.  The bugs and problems range from unknown and
spurious panics on a machine that ran xenix for a year with few
problems to the dialing programs not working for sharing an
inbound/outbound line (even using uugetty) to the kernel corrupting
its inode table when a xenix file system runs out of inodes.

This product should not have been released yet.  The bugs mentioned
above and most of the other bugs I have come across are not acceptable
and should have been caught in any minimally complete alpha/beta
testing.  I have never run into another OS that has been delivered to
me with so many blatant problems (except maybe VAX/VMS, which anyone
running unix knows is one big bug, ;-)).

Just thought that all of you out on the net should be aware.

|  Todd Koeckeritz        zaz@jersey                 (crash!orbit!jersey!zaz) |
|  Euler Solutions, Inc., Minneapolis, MN, USA H:(612)537-4264 W:(612)635-0088|

bote@csense.uucp (John Boteler) (10/27/90)

jaffe@hoss.unl.edu (David Jaffe) claimed:
>Sure, formally there is an upgrade procedure from xenix to unix, but it's
>cost is prohibitive.
>What really pisses me off is the following quote from
>an SCO Background Paper, dated 9/88:
>	 [Xenix] also provides a direct upgrade path to
>	 SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.

Yeah, but you believed 'em!

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me...

--
John Boteler   bote@csense                {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703 241 BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (10/28/90)

If you have a Soft Warehouse anywhere in your area, try them for the
upgrade/new package.  They might be able to order it for you if what
you need isn't stocked.  For example, 2.3 (386) from SCO/Dist'rs goes
for around 599 and up.  SW sells it for 469.  Quite a savings.

This may make a few people mad - but hey, all's fair, etc.

Not knowing where you are, you might call their National Accounts
number; 1-800-451-SOFT.  I don't have anything to do with SW,
but I have very seldom been able to get better prices anywhere else.

As a side,  has anyone heard anything about MicroAge 2000 (Tustin, AZ)
filing for bankrupsy?  This is the main headquarters.

kory@avatar.avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) (10/29/90)

I happen to agree with you. SCO Unix is not a stable product. If you did
happen to upgrade, DO NOT USE THE MICROSOFT C COMPILER!!!. It generates
*wrong* code. Use rcc instead.

I can't get usenet stuff to even compile much less work. If any has gotten
usenet B News 2.11 to run *please* lend me a hand.

I got smail 2.5 to compile, but it send 2 copies to e-mail: one to the
proper domain name, and one to user@hostname.UUCP. I think this is some
kind of configuration error on my part. If anyone has gotten smail to work,
*please* help me.

I also couldn't get rn to work. Configure seems to run fine, but it barfs during
compile.

'Patch' seems to act very strange also.

Enough whining.

--kory

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: kory@avatar.com

In article <11243@scorn.sco.COM> richardt (Richard Trivett) writes:

| Just to clarify, there is an upgrade path available from SCO
| XENIX to SCO UNIX, both inside the US and internationally. Further,
| there is an upgrade from XENIX or UNIX to Open Desktop, and from
| any vendors UNIX to Open Desktop. The upgrade is available
| from any SCO Advanced Product Center, or from SCO if you have SoftTech
| or SoftCare

  Wonderful. When asked if I wanted to rened my softcare I asked if I
could transfer it to ODT. the answer was no. So I dropped it. Now I
can't get the upgrade to ODT from SCO.

  I really like a lot of SCO products, but I have never seen a company
do so many little things to iritate customers. We have people at work
who swear that if they can ever get what they need elsewhere they will
never buy anything else from SCO. This says a lot for the product and
the interface to users.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

tb@PEM-Stuttgart.de (Tillmann Basien) (11/02/90)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <11243@scorn.sco.COM> richardt (Richard Trivett) writes:

>| Just to clarify, there is an upgrade path available from SCO
>| XENIX to SCO UNIX, both inside the US and internationally. Further,
>| there is an upgrade from XENIX or UNIX to Open Desktop, and from
>| any vendors UNIX to Open Desktop. The upgrade is available
>| from any SCO Advanced Product Center, or from SCO if you have SoftTech
>| or SoftCare

>  Wonderful. When asked if I wanted to rened my softcare I asked if I
>could transfer it to ODT. the answer was no. So I dropped it. Now I
>can't get the upgrade to ODT from SCO.

	The Upgrade to ODT is aviable only in USA, not in Europa !!!

>  I really like a lot of SCO products, but I have never seen a company
>do so many little things to iritate customers. We have people at work
>who swear that if they can ever get what they need elsewhere they will
>never buy anything else from SCO. This says a lot for the product and
>the interface to users.
	Oh, am sorry. It is right, that SCO will iritate there customers
	(and there resellers too), but we know, that we must be carful with
	any announcement of SCO. We have many (100) Systems running with
	SCO XENIX/UNIX and ODT all works well.
--

jpr@jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Oct27.044011.632@jersey> zaz@jersey.UUCP (Todd Koeckeritz) writes:
>Are all of you folks really sure you want to do this ?  I have gone
>through the pain of "upgrading" from SCO xenix to SCO unix and have
>been unable to fully recover from the trauma in the three weeks I have
>been fighting it.

Which version of SCO Unix are you referring to?
--

 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr@jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341