[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO XENIX 2.3.2 on i486

mort@dhump.lakesys.COM (Marty Wiedmeyer) (11/01/90)

Greetings!

We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
NCR PC486/MC25.

Two questions:

1)	Does it run? I know ODT runs, but it's UNIX, not XENIX.

2)	How to copy the distribution disks to 3.5. I have 5.25" media.
	I believe I've copied all of the disks with
	dd if=/dev/fd096ds15 of=/dev/fd1135ds18. The one problem I
	have is with the Installation Boot floppy (N1). It won't boot!
	I tried making a bootable disk with mkdev fd and dd'ing N1 to
	it to no avail.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Marty Wiedmeyer

--
mort@dhump.lakesys.com 				uunet!marque!dhump!mort

pf@artcom0.north.de (Peter Funk) (11/02/90)

In <18@dhump.lakesys.COM>
	mort@dhump.lakesys.COM (Marty Wiedmeyer) asked:

mw> We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
mw> NCR PC486/MC25.

mw> 1)	Does it run? I know ODT runs, but it's UNIX, not XENIX.

We have succesfully installed SCO Xenix 2.3.2 GT on a number of
Noname-EISA-80486s equipped with 64 MB of RAM.  SCO Xenix 2.3.2
leaves 3/4 of RAM unused. :-)

But we discovered a serious Problem: Together with a number of device
drivers the size kernel image grows over the mythical limit of 640 kB.
Also this should be no longer a problem since release 2.3.0 (see pg. 62
on "Large Kernel Support" in Release Notes of 2.3.) we got the following
error message :

      Not enough physical memory for the kernel!

The board was equipped with an Award BIOS.  On an old 80386/25
equipped with an American Megatrends BIOS the same kernel boots well.
At the moment, we don't know, whether this is a bios related or
architecture related problem.  Looks odd: It seems to be necessary
to reverse engineer /boot.... :-(

mw> 	I tried making a bootable disk with mkdev fd and dd'ing N1 to
mw> 	it to no avail.

You will probably also have to patch the minor device numbers of
_rootdev, _pipedev, _swapdev of the floppy kernel image using adb.
I don't know, whether this is all you need to do, to get the N1-disk
booting.  It may be easier to obtain the 3.5 inch distribution from SCO.
--
Peter Funk \\ ArtCom GmbH, Schwachhauser Heerstr. 78, D-2800 Bremen 1
Work at home: Oldenburger Str.86, D-2875 Ganderkesee 1 /+49 4222 6018 (8am-6pm)
>> PLEASE Don't send BIG mails (oversea) ! I've to pay for it : $0.3/kB
   Don't use the bang path of this news article for mails (They will bounce).
   Only the address 'pf@artcom0.north.de' will work. Thank You ! <<

usenet@carssdf.UUCP (John Watson) (11/02/90)

> We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
> NCR PC486/MC25.
> 1)	Does it run? I know ODT runs, but it's UNIX, not XENIX.

Yes it runs on 2 different 486's I have installed.  One had an elaborate
external cache and the other used only the Chips&Tech Chipset.  One problem,
a 82C206 by Seimens was failing, giving wierd DMA problems.

> 2)	How to copy the distribution disks to 3.5. I have 5.25" media.

Simple answer, temporarly hang a 5.25 disk on the system as the first drive.

John Watson, self employed programmer,   ...!carssdf!usenet

kevin@utekza.UUCP (Kevin Gribble) (11/02/90)

In article <18@dhump.lakesys.COM> mort@dhump.lakesys.COM (Marty Wiedmeyer) writes:
>Greetings!
>
>We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
>NCR PC486/MC25.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1)	Does it run? I know ODT runs, but it's UNIX, not XENIX.

Yes you can install SCO Unix on to the NCR 486/25, but you need to do some
changes.

1) Remove the NCR scsi adapter and install a Adaptec 1542 scsi controller.

2) Get in touch with your local NCR agent and ask them to request the 'N' set
   of disks from Augsburg in Germany.

The only problem you might come across is with the loading of the UFA disks.
Simple 'tar' them off and then run prep script in the /tmp directory.

I was told recently by a SCO representative that SCO will be shipping shortly
versions of their op. systems which will include the drivers for the NCR range
of pc's.

Kevin Gribble
kevin@utekza.UUCP	....!ddsw1!olsa99!iosys!utekza!kevin

cliffb@cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) (11/03/90)

In article <3037@artcom0.north.de> pf@artcom0.north.de (Peter Funk) writes:
>In <18@dhump.lakesys.COM>
>	mort@dhump.lakesys.COM (Marty Wiedmeyer) asked:
>
>mw> We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
>mw> NCR PC486/MC25.
>
>mw> 1)	Does it run? I know ODT runs, but it's UNIX, not XENIX.
>
>We have succesfully installed SCO Xenix 2.3.2 GT on a number of
>
>But we discovered a serious Problem: Together with a number of device
>drivers the size kernel image grows over the mythical limit of 640 kB.
>Also this should be no longer a problem since release 2.3.0 (see pg. 62
>on "Large Kernel Support" in Release Notes of 2.3.) we got the following
>error message :
>
>      Not enough physical memory for the kernel!
>
>The board was equipped with an Award BIOS.  On an old 80386/25
>equipped with an American Megatrends BIOS the same kernel boots well.

I'm not sure if this is the cause but we are using a "no-name" clone and also
had problems with a too large kernel not booting.  It has to do with switching
out of real mode to put code (or loader) above 1 Meg.  SCO has a fix called the
"slow boot" fix that will cure the problem (if that is your problem.)  I've
been told that it has to do with pin 20 changing modes and is timing sensitive.

Cliff

jpr@jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/05/90)

In article <18@dhump.lakesys.COM> mort@dhump.lakesys.COM (Marty Wiedmeyer) writes:
>We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
>NCR PC486/MC25.
>2)	How to copy the distribution disks to 3.5. I have 5.25" media.
>	I believe I've copied all of the disks with
>	dd if=/dev/fd096ds15 of=/dev/fd1135ds18. The one problem I
>	have is with the Installation Boot floppy (N1). It won't boot!
>	I tried making a bootable disk with mkdev fd and dd'ing N1 to
>	it to no avail.

I discovered that problem when my SCO dealer copied 5.25" disks to 3.5" disks
for me, and I couldn't get started. The problem is the boot track.

If you can get to an already installed system, see if you don't have boot
tracks in /etc:
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd135ds18boot0
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd135ds9boot0
-r--------   1 bin      bin          546 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd48ds9boot0
-r--------   1 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd96ds15boot0
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd96ds18boot0
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd96ds9boot0

You can then look in /usr/lib/mkdev/fd do get the parameters for using 'dd' to
overwrite what you copied from the large diskette by the correct program for
the 3.5" diskette.

 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr@jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341