[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO XENIX and an external ARCHIVE VP 150e

perry@bluemtn (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) (11/03/90)

We run SCO XENIX 2.3.2 on a 33mhz 80386 based machine.   Our tape backup
is a 150 meg archive VP 150e.   One thing that I'd like to point out is
if we put a 250meg tape in (3M DC6250), it will go ahead and backup
the full 250 meg to the tape... I guess the drive just backs up until the
tape runs out.  This is nice.

Now for the weirdness:   If I take out a tape, and put it back in,
the first time I try to access the drive, i.e. "tar -tvbf 20 /dev/rct0",
I get the error message cannot access /dev/rct0.  If I type that same
command again, it works.   It's only after I put in a tape that I get
the error, but then it works after making a second attempt.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Perry Minyard
--
                               | Perry Minyard
"A mind is a terrible thing    | 71020.3073@compuserve.com           (Internet)
 to taste." - Ministry         | ..!emory!bluemtn!perry              (UUCP)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/05/90)

perry@bluemtn (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) writes:

> archive VP 150e.
> It's only after I put in a tape that I get
> the error, but then it works after making a second attempt.

Known bug.  Fixed in update UFM a.k.a. xnx155b.  Available from sosco.
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (11/06/90)

perry@bluemtn (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) writes:

>Now for the weirdness:   If I take out a tape, and put it back in,
>the first time I try to access the drive, i.e. "tar -tvbf 20 /dev/rct0",
>I get the error message cannot access /dev/rct0.  If I type that same
>command again, it works.   It's only after I put in a tape that I get
>the error, but then it works after making a second attempt.  Any suggestions?

This is fixed in one of the SLS's.  We had the same problem, which really
mucked up our automated nightly backups.  Installing the SLS (hang on
while I run to the computer room...) xnx155 seems to have fixed it for
us, and raised us to SCO XENIX/V 386 2.3.3.

BTW - thanks to Perry for the interesting information about using
250MB tapes!  I wonder what the total capacity will be when running
Microlite's CTAR with those tapes?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :