[comp.unix.xenix.sco] "talk" not included with SCO TCP/IP ?

s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) (11/20/90)

Looking through the SCO TCP/IP manual it has the entry for talk but alas
the program itself does not seem to be in the distrobution (for Xenix 386
2.3.2). Does anyone know why? Is "talk" included for the SCO UNIX release
but not the SCO Xenix release?

-Richard

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (11/21/90)

In article <6293@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) writes:
>Is "talk" included for the SCO UNIX release
>but not the SCO Xenix release?
>
>-Richard

Talk is a BSD utility and references leaked across during the
TCP/IP port.  I have a local-only (doesn't know about networking)
talk for SCO XENIX and UNIX if you would like it.  It may also
work on other System-V systems (uses S5 IPC).

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
ANSI C should have been named D, or Son of C

cliffb@cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) (11/21/90)

In article <6293@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) writes:
>Looking through the SCO TCP/IP manual it has the entry for talk but alas
>the program itself does not seem to be in the distrobution (for Xenix 386
>2.3.2). Does anyone know why? Is "talk" included for the SCO UNIX release
>but not the SCO Xenix release?
>
>-Richard

Unfortunately it is not in Xenix and is in UNIX.  (A reason? to switch to
UNIX). When I talked to SCO sppt they said they didn't include it but if I
could get it from my distributor it was ok to use it.  I wasn't sure about that
but if anyone is successful at getting it, I'm sure it would be a popular item.

Cliff