[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO TCP/IP Install *MAJOR* problem: HELP!

s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) (11/16/90)

It seems today is not my day for installing new software. At any rate the
problem is that after installing SCO Streams Runtime and SCO TCP/IP
Runtime System. The kernel had been relinked after installing SCO TCP/IP
and I rebooted the system as stated in the docs in order to install the
ethernet card driver (3comB - 3C503 card). This worked OK. Then I installed
the driver and relinked the kernel. When I rebooted the system it would get
to the point just before the copyright notice and REBOOT!! I had to get
the system up by running /usr/sys/conf/xenix ! So then I removed the
driver and this continued. Now I have removed TCP/IP and have got the
system running normally again.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do? If not, does
anyone have any idea what could have caused it. The only thing that
I could possibly think the cause was that the 3C503 card's memory was
enabled. Should this be disabled for the system to work?

I would apprieciate any help you could give with this matter because
I am dying to get TCP/IP running.

-Richard Muirden.

(s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au)

bent@lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) (11/17/90)

s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) writes:

>It seems today is not my day for installing new software. At any rate the
>problem is that after installing SCO Streams Runtime and SCO TCP/IP
>Runtime System. The kernel had been relinked after installing SCO TCP/IP
>and I rebooted the system as stated in the docs in order to install the
>ethernet card driver (3comB - 3C503 card). This worked OK. Then I installed
>the driver and relinked the kernel. When I rebooted the system it would get
>to the point just before the copyright notice and REBOOT!! I had to get
>the system up by running /usr/sys/conf/xenix ! So then I removed the
>driver and this continued. Now I have removed TCP/IP and have got the
>system running normally again.

You don't say what kind of computer you have, but it sounds like you
have been bitten by the boot problem which occurs when the boot
program cannot load a kernel bigger than 640k.  I had an old Compaq
386/16 that experienced the same problem.

>Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do? If not, does
>anyone have any idea what could have caused it. The only thing that
>I could possibly think the cause was that the 3C503 card's memory was
>enabled. Should this be disabled for the system to work?

You need to get the Xenix Support Level Supplement xnx126 from sosco.
It is called the Delay Boot supplement.

BTW, the shared memory is not used in the Xenix version of TCP/IP.

>I would apprieciate any help you could give with this matter because
>I am dying to get TCP/IP running.

I died trying to get it running consistently.  It crashed regulary,
ftp had some amazing bugs which were reproducable but SCO claimed
they couldn't reproduce them, and sendmail is a joke.  It's an old
version, the configuration script can only handle one or two different
major network types, and SCO DOESN'T support it.  "It's only there
to fill out the TCP package." {sic}   We sent it back.

>-Richard Muirden.
>(s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au)

Ben Taylor
Systems Administrator
LCC Inc.
uunet!lccinc!bent

s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) (11/19/90)

In article <281@lccinc.UUCP>, bent@lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) writes:
> You don't say what kind of computer you have, but it sounds like you
> have been bitten by the boot problem which occurs when the boot
> program cannot load a kernel bigger than 640k.  I had an old Compaq
> 386/16 that experienced the same problem.

Sorry. I thought that it was implied that I was using a 386 machine.
In fact it's a 386/20 beast.

> You need to get the Xenix Support Level Supplement xnx126 from sosco.
> It is called the Delay Boot supplement.

Thanks very much for this information.

> BTW, the shared memory is not used in the Xenix version of TCP/IP.

It would be nice if SCO would include this in their documentation. I find
this to not be very good...

It is also interesting to note that after re-installing Streams and TCP/IP
*WITHOUT* an ethernet card in the machine (and installing the driver), the
kernel and OS loaded OK (hrmph - load factor 5.5 indeed!) It seems stupid
that the system could handle all the stuff without the card but then crash
when the card is installed. I realise that this implies that the kernel is
'smart' and does not include the driver code if it can't find an ethernet
card however it seems that the increase in code usage is not much. Oh well,
system administration (even if I am a starter) wasn't meant to be easy!

btw. SCO could have told people about this bug as well... mighty annoying.
I would prob. go for another product had we not spent the money investing
in Xenix in the first place.

-Richard

Richard Muirden,                         |Humble Computer Science Student &
System Administrator,                    |Star Trek Fan!
Wesley College Melbourne (Prahran Campus)+--My opinions are my own-----------
mail: ram@lionet.wesley.OZ.AU            |mail: s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU
Quote: "Humans smile with such little provocation", Spock, "Journey to Babel"

teddy@xeqsx.oz (Teddy Yung) (11/21/90)

In article <6272@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) writes:
> the driver and relinked the kernel. When I rebooted the system it would get
> to the point just before the copyright notice and REBOOT!! I had to get

Although I haven't used any 3com card before, the idea should be the same.
We had the same experience before.  The reasons we know are:

1. Bios conflict

2. Interrupt/Address conflict,  please check the intrrupt that you are using
   with ypur video card and other cards.  If you have a VGA card in your system,
   I suggest that you to use a mono card for testing.

Teddy Yung
--
this is my signature

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (11/22/90)

s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) writes:

>btw. SCO could have told people about this bug as well... mighty annoying.

But you forget. This is SCO. A vendor which goes out of its way to piss
people off.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --