[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO support of Xenix/386

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (11/21/90)

A few months ago, there was a great deal of SCO bashing here.  At that time
press releases touting the new SCO Unix product seemed to leave Xenix in
a questionable state, to say the least, relative to support.  SCO said they
wouldn't abandon us, but we all had our doubts.  Since that time SCO has:
1. Released upgrade to go from Xenix/386 2.3.2 to 2.3.3.
2. Released new development system release 2.3.1.
3. Released several SLS's for hot problems.
All of these, mind you, are free.

Way to go, SCO.  I appreciate that.  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (11/23/90)

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:

>2. Released new development system release 2.3.1.

Err, my understanding is that the new devsys release is v2.3.2, and it
costs over $200 to upgrade to it.

This irks me to no end as I just shelled out $500+ for the devsys this
past summer - now I'd had to pay yet-another-50% to get the "upgrade".

Riiiight. I'm going to "upgrade" to a new Unix. And, it ain't gonna
be SCO.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (11/25/90)

In <3960@vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:

>A few months ago, there was a great deal of SCO bashing here.  At that time
>press releases touting the new SCO Unix product seemed to leave Xenix in
>a questionable state, to say the least, relative to support.  SCO said they
>wouldn't abandon us, but we all had our doubts.  Since that time SCO has:
>1. Released upgrade to go from Xenix/386 2.3.2 to 2.3.3.
>2. Released new development system release 2.3.1.
>3. Released several SLS's for hot problems.
>All of these, mind you, are free.

Don't forget XNX137 which is a *FREE* upgrade from XENIX 2.3.0/2.3.1
to 2.3.2 which is the current release (2.3.3 is only available through
the upgrade xnx155).  How many companies give free upgrades which include
a full distribution set of disks (all ten of them including games disk
plus release notes etc..)

>Way to go, SCO.  I appreciate that.  Ron.

Agreed, SCO's support is second to none.  SCO's product might not be
the fastest, it might not be fun to use for us 'hackers' because of
C2 etc.. but their product is stable, and bug-fixes are prompt (and
free).  In a commercial environment you need a product that has
stability, not a product that has to include all the latest and greatest
features (with all the bugs that go with them..)

For those of you who tried the original release of SCO UNIX 3.2.0, I suggest
you try the latest release 3.2.2.  The speed improvement is phenomenal.

No flames please :-)  I support SCO all the way.

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -

news@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (11/27/90)

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>> 2. Released new development system release 2.3.1.
> Err, my understanding is that the new devsys release is v2.3.2, and it
> costs over $200 to upgrade to it.

Or uucp request the patches from sosco.
--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf,bucket}!m2xenix!news

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (11/29/90)

In <360@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:

>>2. Released new development system release 2.3.1.

>Err, my understanding is that the new devsys release is v2.3.2, and it
>costs over $200 to upgrade to it.

The current release is 2.3.2, But sco are offering 2.3.1 for free.  2.3.2
has many extras which don't constitute 'bug-fixes' but value-added
features which you gotta pay for.

>This irks me to no end as I just shelled out $500+ for the devsys this
>past summer - now I'd had to pay yet-another-50% to get the "upgrade".

Mhh don't count your eggs, but I *THINK* that if you bought your product
after a certain date, you are entitled to a free upgrade.  I'm pretty
sure that this is the fact with SCO UNIX too (at least our customers are
getting a free upgrade to 3.2.2 if they bought 3.2.0 after July 1).

>Riiiight. I'm going to "upgrade" to a new Unix. And, it ain't gonna
>be SCO.

I'm gonna upgrade too.  And it's gonna be to SCO UNIX 3.2.2.

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -
-           Disco is to music what Etch-A-Sketch is to art.                -

steve@nshore.uucp (Stephen J. Walick) (12/01/90)

As quoted from <360@anomaly.sbs.com> by mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan):
+---------------
| srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
|
| >2. Released new development system release 2.3.1.
|
| Err, my understanding is that the new devsys release is v2.3.2, and it
| costs over $200 to upgrade to it.
|
| This irks me to no end as I just shelled out $500+ for the devsys this
| past summer - now I'd had to pay yet-another-50% to get the "upgrade".
|
| Riiiight. I'm going to "upgrade" to a new Unix. And, it ain't gonna
| be SCO.
+---------------

Tell the world what the source of your information is, and we'll all
know who not to ask or believe.

I downloaded < lng244 > to correct some incremental loader (ldr) problems
I was having on the purchased Development System (from SCO) 2.3.0, but
the letter with < lng244 > warned about *NOT* applying that update on
the Development System that was *NOT* 2.3.1.  A simple call to the SCO
"media" department got for me not only the Development System 2.3.1, but
also their CGI update from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0d, all within one week, NO
CHARGE -- not even the phone call, which was answered *immediately*!

Why don't you, and all other non-believers in SCO, give *them* a call
(800) 347-4381, and you might find them to actually be very helpful.
( BTW, SCO's current most recent release of the Development System for
SCO-Xenix is 2.3.1d! )

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backnone}!nshore!steve                         steve@nshore.uucp

bill@wgc386.mv.com (William Gibbs) (12/02/90)

In <1990Dec1.030351.6744@nshore.uucp> steve@nshore.uucp (Stephen J. Walick) writes:

>As quoted from <360@anomaly.sbs.com> by mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan):
>+---------------
>| srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
>|
>| >2. Released new development system release 2.3.1.
>|
>| Err, my understanding is that the new devsys release is v2.3.2, and it
>| costs over $200 to upgrade to it.
>|
>| This irks me to no end as I just shelled out $500+ for the devsys this
>| past summer - now I'd had to pay yet-another-50% to get the "upgrade".
>|
>| Riiiight. I'm going to "upgrade" to a new Unix. And, it ain't gonna
>| be SCO.
>+---------------

>Tell the world what the source of your information is, and we'll all
>know who not to ask or believe.

>I downloaded < lng244 > to correct some incremental loader (ldr) problems
>I was having on the purchased Development System (from SCO) 2.3.0, but
>the letter with < lng244 > warned about *NOT* applying that update on
>the Development System that was *NOT* 2.3.1.  A simple call to the SCO
>"media" department got for me not only the Development System 2.3.1, but
>also their CGI update from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0d, all within one week, NO
>CHARGE -- not even the phone call, which was answered *immediately*!

I've had similar experience.  I called SCO on a Friday to register my
software and get ALL the free updates available (O/S, Devsys, lng244,
VP/ix, etc.) all of it arrived on the following Monday.

>Why don't you, and all other non-believers in SCO, give *them* a call
>(800) 347-4381, and you might find them to actually be very helpful.
>( BTW, SCO's current most recent release of the Development System for
>SCO-Xenix is 2.3.1d! )

Worked for me.

>--

>Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
>{uunet|backnone}!nshore!steve                         steve@nshore.uucp

Bill
--
William Gibbs                                     bill@wgc386.mv.com
42 Ayer Road

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (12/07/90)

steve@nshore.uucp (Stephen J. Walick) writes:

>Tell the world what the source of your information is, and we'll all
>know who not to ask or believe.

Numerous people who have posted to this group, the latest one informing
us that the v2.3.2 devsys isn't really an "upgrade" but has many
"value added features".

MD