[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Configuring swap space

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (11/17/90)

I have always configured machines with the maximum swap space, figuring
that it was better to have too much than too little (especially with 4mb
of RAM in an 8 user system).

I am currently configuring a 16 user system with a 310mb ESDI drive and
10mb of RAM.  The max recommended swap space for the 310mb disk is 50mb.
This appears excessive to me.  Do I really need 50mb of swap space?

The system will be primarily running WordPerfect 5.0, which requires an
average of 600kb of RAM for each user.  If all 16 users concurrently ran
WP under a menu shell, it seems to me that I'd need to have 10mb of swap
space available.  The system will not run windows, graphics or other
memory hungry apps, so the chances of any processes needing megabytes of
core seem rather small.

Am I oversimplifying my swap space requirements?  How can I best
determine the max amount of swap space that I'll need on a given system?

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

techsup@NMC.gn7cg.pent.osd.mil (tech support) (11/20/90)

Along these lines, how does one find out the ammount of swap space in use
currently while the system is running.  Not the total, but the free swap
space????

Thanks!!
bruce

terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) (12/06/90)

In article <TECHSUP.90Nov20090206@NMC.gn7cg.pent.osd.mil>, techsup@NMC.gn7cg.pent.osd.mil (tech support) writes:
> Along these lines, how does one find out the ammount of swap space in use
> currently while the system is running.  Not the total, but the free swap
> space????

to find out usage of swap space
df -v /dev/swap

I like the output from the -v option
use the flag of your choice
Terry

*  UUNET ...!uunet!pride386!terry or ...!zardoz!pride386!terry           *
*  FAX  714 739 2203  *  WANTED: 1 fire-lizard, brown preferred          *

pgd@bbt.se (12/07/90)

In article <516@pride386.UUCP> terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:
>In article <TECHSUP.90Nov20090206@NMC.gn7cg.pent.osd.mil>, techsup@NMC.gn7cg.pent.osd.mil (tech support) writes:
>> Along these lines, how does one find out the ammount of swap space in use
>> currently while the system is running.  Not the total, but the free swap
>> space????
>
>to find out usage of swap space
>df -v /dev/swap
>
>I like the output from the -v option
>use the flag of your choice
>Terry

$ df -v /dev/swap
Mount Dir   Filesystem  blocks	  used	  free	% used
            /dev/swap   -790085426	136139788	-926225214	  -17%
$

To find the requested information you have to peek into kmem.

dma@pcssc.com (Dave Armbrust) (12/08/90)

In article <516@pride386.UUCP> terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:
>to find out usage of swap space
>df -v /dev/swap

Ok, I bit!

Running: PS/2 Model 80-111 with SCO Xenix 2.3.2.

I did:

df -v /dev/swap

and got:

Mount Dir   Filesystem  blocks	  used	  free	% used
            /dev/swap        0	     0	     0	    0%

What gives?

Dave Armbrust               |     uunet!pcssc!dma
PC Software Systems         |     dma@pcssc.com
4370 S. Tamiami Trail       |     Phone: (813)922-8857
Sarasota, FL 34231-3400     |

Closing the barn door when a dead gift horse is in
mid-stream won't make him drink.