[comp.unix.xenix.sco] WY995 - help required.

thostr@stud.cs.uit.no (Thomas Strandenaes) (12/06/90)

I've got a somewhat strange problem lurking
in my hardware. Recently I obtained a Wyse 995
8-port serial adapter. It came complete with
drivers for SCO Xenix 2.2.1 and higher. I've got
SCO Xenix 2.2.1. I'm using a 386/33/cache with
AMI BIOS (30/08/90) and OPTI chipset, equipped
with 6 Mb of RAM, a hercules mono-card, a 170 Mb IMPRIMIS IDE
drive (fast & efficcent - never had no problems with
it), a 2-port serial card adapter, and not to forget -
the WY995 8-port adapter.

As prescribed, I've *customized* Xenix (including
install, relink and reboot), with the driver residing
from F60000H in the memory map. Xenix recognizes the board
and tells me "Found WY995 on address 000000F6". After enabling
the ports named tty5a-tty5h, I connected a terminal expecting a login prompt,
but instead of a login prompt, I received junk-characters. And I still do.
It looks approx. like this: "wuu}}}oo" et cetera. It looks
like a baud/parity problem, but isn't.

Included in the WY995 package came a diagnostic utility
for MS-DOS - it tests the board internally and it's
ports by having the ports interconnected. The diagnostic
completes without errors. Alas, it looks like a Xenix config
problem.

Anyone with similar experience or good suggestions
are welcome to help me out. If the soloution isn't
totally obvious and I get so solve it, I'll post a
summary in here.

Yours,

thostr@stud.cs.uit.no
--
//thomas

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.170207.21221@hod.uit.no>
	thostr@stud.cs.uit.no (Thomas Strandenaes) writes:
>I connected a terminal expecting a login prompt, but instead of a login
>prompt, I received junk-characters. And I still do.  It looks approx.
>like this: "wuu}}}oo" et cetera. It looks like a baud/parity problem,
>but isn't.  [...]  Included in the WY995 package came a diagnostic utility
>for MS-DOS - it tests the board internally and it's ports by having the ports
>interconnected.

Throw away your fancy, schmancy diagnostics.  For troubleshooting serial
connections, my favorite piece of test gear is a paper clip.  (Well, these
days I actually use a snazzy $120 Beckman breakout box - but I know in
my heart it's just a paper clip with lights.)

Disconnect the serial cable from the back of the terminal, and use your
paper clip to short together pins 2 and 3.  Walk back to the computer and
kick off a "cu" on that serial line.  If what you type is echo'ed back,
then it's a setup problem (check ttys, gettydefs, etc.)  If you don't get
echo, then it's a problem with the board or its installation.

Normally, I'd say if it passes at the terminal, try again at the back of
the computer to verify the cabling.  However, if I remember right the
WY995 uses RJ11 connectors, and it's hard to attach a paper clip to those.

By the way, I'm assuming that "wuu}}oo" isn't the normal login prompt
for your machine. :-)

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec5.170207.21221@hod.uit.no>  (Thomas Strandenaes) writes:
>I've got a somewhat strange problem lurking
>in my hardware. Recently I obtained a Wyse 995
>8-port serial adapter. It came complete with
>drivers for SCO Xenix 2.2.1 and higher. I've got
>SCO Xenix 2.2.1. I'm using a 386/33/cache with

Any reason you did not upgrade to SCO Xenix 2.3.2?  You will run into other
problems with 2.2.1 to compound things a bit.  You have a nice machine
config, but old software....

>the ports named tty5a-tty5h, I connected a terminal expecting a login prompt,
>but instead of a login prompt, I received junk-characters. And I still do.
>It looks approx. like this: "wuu}}}oo" et cetera. It looks
>like a baud/parity problem, but isn't.

1. I assume from your notes that you have checked the terminal you are
using to setup the speed correctly.  The WY995 works at 9600 out of the
box, and you should not go past that until everything is rock solid.
Does not work well at past 9600.

2. Are you using the cables and connectors that were supplied with the
WY995?  It uses RJ45 8-wire connections and it must be right!  You cannot
get by with less connections.

3. Have you tried moving the board to a different address?  You may
have a conflict with another board in your system.  Running under DOS
with something like Manifest by QuarterDeck will allow you to look
at the items installed in the system.