[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Xenix, VP/ix, and VGA

jhl@frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) (12/07/90)

I believe there has been discussion on this topic before, which I didn't
pay attention to.

Environment:

SCO Xenix 2.3.2
SCO VP/ix 1.1.1
VGA Adapter based on Cirrus Logic chipset
VGA Color Monitor

WHen VP/ix starts up, it makes application think I am a regular
monochrome monitor. If I run a graphics application and force it to be
in VGA mode, color graphics display in grayscale.

Using debug, INT 11H claims I have a monchrome card and the display
buffer is at B0000H. A color card's display area would be at B8000H.

As I recall previous discussion, this lack of color is consist across
platforms. Is this true?

Has anyone gotten color text or graphics to work with VGA?

Advance thanx,

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec6.213141.14357@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> jhl@frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:

   WHen VP/ix starts up, it makes application think I am a regular
   monochrome monitor. If I run a graphics application and force it to be
   in VGA mode, color graphics display in grayscale.

   Using debug, INT 11H claims I have a monchrome card and the display
   buffer is at B0000H. A color card's display area would be at B8000H.

   As I recall previous discussion, this lack of color is consist across
   platforms. Is this true?

   Has anyone gotten color text or graphics to work with VGA?

   Advance thanx,

   --
   j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
				   |%|UUCP: uunet!mailrus!sharkey!dale1!jhl
				   |%|  or: uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
   Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

I had the very same problem earlier this year.  I'm afraid I can't
give you a technical explanation of what's wrong, since I don't have
one.  I fixed my problem by returning the Oak VGA card to my vendor
and purchasing a Paradise VGA card as a replacement.  Replacing your
video card is about all I can recommend, but it worked for me!
--
Kevin L. Weller                                 /-------+--------------------\
internet: n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu                |  aTm  |  GIG 'EM, AGGIES!  |

enc@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Erez N. Carmel) (12/10/90)

I am also using the Cirrus chipset in the Reneisance board, and was
able to get color by removing the ROMVGA and ROMEGA entries from
vpix.cnf.  Once this is done, VPIX calls the card's bios at
initialization and then proceeds with the boot.  The result is full

VGA colors, and one undsired side effect... (keep reading)

I also have a SCSI board plugged in, for my tape drive.  The SCSI
bord also has a bios, with initialization code.  After VPIX
executes the VGA initialization, it proceeds to execute the SCSI
initialization... no harm, though, since this is not connected to
my disk.

Over all -- it works.

#      E. Carmel, Sacramento, Ca.                           #
#   ...ames!pacbell!sactoh0!telelnk!ecarmel                 #

peter@micromuse.co.uk (Peter Galbavy) (12/13/90)

In article <N025FC.90Dec7182721@tamuts.tamu.edu> n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) writes:
>In article <1990Dec6.213141.14357@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> jhl@frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
>
>   WHen VP/ix starts up, it makes application think I am a regular
>   monochrome monitor. If I run a graphics application and force it to be
>   in VGA mode, color graphics display in grayscale.
>

>I had the very same problem earlier this year.  I'm afraid I can't
>give you a technical explanation of what's wrong, since I don't have
>one.  I fixed my problem by returning the Oak VGA card to my vendor
>and purchasing a Paradise VGA card as a replacement.  Replacing your
>video card is about all I can recommend, but it worked for me!

Another thing to try (is doesn't always work) is to comment out the
line 'VGAROM ...' in the vpix.cnf file, and then on some VGA cards
(Orchids at least), you get the pretty scrolling start up, and the
things seems to initialise the VGA card fine. This works OK with an
Adaptec 1542B SCSI, but if you use a Future Domain 885, it trys to
look for SCSI disks :-(, but gives up after about 2 minutes, and then
is OK after reporting NO SCSI DEVICES FOUND :-?

Has anyone else had experience of doing this - and can you fix the FD
TMC885 problem (not a normal conflict - I have checked all the
usual)...

Good luck - but be careful (I cannot be responsible for any
screw-ups),
--
Peter Galbavy
Tech Support, Micromuse Ltd

Disclaimer: Time flies like an arrow... Fruit flies like a banana