[comp.unix.xenix.sco] What's the latest XENIX version?

ra@intsys.no (Robert Andersson) (12/11/90)

I just purchased this second-hand:
SCO XENIX OS         2.3.2
SCO XENIX Dev.sys.   2.3.0
SCO VP/IX            1.1.0

I wanted to upgrade to the latest versions, and get online documentation,
so I called the Norwegian XENIX distributor.  They told me:
2.3.2 is the latest OS version.
2.3.0 is the latest Dev.sys. version.
1.2.0 is latest VP/IX version, upgrade cost is $260.
You cannot get online manuals for XENIX 2.3.

Surely this must be wrong, I thought that:
2.3.3 is the latest OS version.  Or can I simply get the SCO support level
      supplement xnx155b?  Is 2.3.2 + xnx155b = 2.3.3?
2.3.1 is the latest Dev.sys version, with lng244 a recommended SLS patch.
The VP/IX upgrade is free, or at least a lot cheaper.  Is 1.2.0 the right
      version number?
The text processing system is at the 2.3 level and contains online manuals.

Am I right?  Is the distributor right?  Or is it simply that SCO releases
stuff in the US, and that it reaches Europe a lot later or never?
--
Robert Andersson       Voice +47 2 371055       International Systems A/S
ra@intsys.no           Fax   +47 2 356448       P.O. Box 3356

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (12/12/90)

In <1990Dec10.185212.8908@intsys.no> ra@intsys.no (Robert Andersson) writes:

>I wanted to upgrade to the latest versions, and get online documentation,
>so I called the Norwegian XENIX distributor.  They told me:
>2.3.2 is the latest OS version.

Technically this is correct, though you can upgrade to 2.3.3 with xnx155b

>2.3.0 is the latest Dev.sys. version.

No, 2.3.2 is the latest version.   The upgrade from 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 is
free.  The upgrade to 2.3.2 will cost you some..

>1.2.0 is latest VP/IX version, upgrade cost is $260.

Yes, this is the latest version of VP/IX and it's worth the upgrade cost!
They fixed up a whole bunch of little problems, and improved speed by
quite a bit.

>You cannot get online manuals for XENIX 2.3.

This is not true.  They come with the text processing system!

>Am I right?  Is the distributor right?  Or is it simply that SCO releases
>stuff in the US, and that it reaches Europe a lot later or never?

Yes, you are basically correct, and yes the rest of the world get SCO
products alot later than the USA.

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (12/14/90)

ra@intsys.no (Robert Andersson) writes:

>2.3.2 is the latest OS version.

2.3.2 w/ xnx155b gives you 2.3.3.

>2.3.0 is the latest Dev.sys. version.

2.3.1 w/ lng244 is the "latest" devsys, although I've heard that there is
a 2.3.2 devsys.

>The VP/IX upgrade is free, or at least a lot cheaper.  Is 1.2.0 the right
>      version number? ...Text Processing...

I haven't heard this. Maybe someone else has.

>Am I right?

Partially.

>Is the distributor right?

Well, based upon the track record of the OS/Devsys, I would say no. But,
then again, as a reseller, those were the numbers I was aware of, until I
started using the 'net to find out information.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

karl@robot.in-berlin.de (Karl-P. Huestegge) (12/14/90)

ra@intsys.no (Robert Andersson) writes:

>I just purchased this second-hand:
>SCO XENIX OS         2.3.2
>SCO XENIX Dev.sys.   2.3.0
>SCO VP/IX            1.1.0

>I wanted to upgrade to the latest versions, and get online documentation,
>so I called the Norwegian XENIX distributor.  They told me:
>2.3.2 is the latest OS version.
>2.3.0 is the latest Dev.sys. version.
>1.2.0 is latest VP/IX version, upgrade cost is $260.
>You cannot get online manuals for XENIX 2.3.

>Surely this must be wrong, I thought that:
>2.3.3 is the latest OS version.  Or can I simply get the SCO support level
>      supplement xnx155b?  Is 2.3.2 + xnx155b = 2.3.3?
>2.3.1 is the latest Dev.sys version, with lng244 a recommended SLS patch.
>The text processing system is at the 2.3 level and contains online manuals.
>Am I right?  Is the distributor right?

Both are right ;-)

The OS 2.3.3 is more a 'virtual' release number.
You buy the 2.3.2 OS  plus VP/ix. Then You apply the Vp/ix Update A
and get OS 2.3.3.
You can't buy an OS package labeled 2.3.3.

I upgraded my DevSys 2.3.1 with lng095 to upgrade the non-ANSI 386 MSC
Compiler to ANSI-C ver 5.1. I don't know lng244.

The Text package is ver 2.3.0 and includes the man pages and nroff/troff.

Since you live in Europe you should also get the International OS and
DevSys Supplement so you can write smoerbroed in vi and say
'while (str="smoerbroed") putc(toupper(*str));' in you c programs.

Hope this helps.

--
Karl-Peter Huestegge                       karl@robot.in-berlin.de
Berlin Friedenau                           ..unido!fub!geminix!robot!karl

steve@nshore.uucp (Stephen J. Walick) (12/15/90)

As quoted from <1990Dec14.052710.780@robot.in-berlin.de> by karl@robot.in-berlin.de (Karl-P. Huestegge):

+---------------
| ra@intsys.no (Robert Andersson) writes:
|
| >I wanted to upgrade to the latest versions, and get online documentation,
| >so I called the Norwegian XENIX distributor.  They told me:
| >2.3.2 is the latest OS version.
| >2.3.0 is the latest Dev.sys. version.
| >1.2.0 is latest VP/IX version, upgrade cost is $260.
| >You cannot get online manuals for XENIX 2.3.
|
| >Surely this must be wrong, I thought that:
| >2.3.3 is the latest OS version.  Or can I simply get the SCO support level
| >      supplement xnx155b?  Is 2.3.2 + xnx155b = 2.3.3?
| >2.3.1 is the latest Dev.sys version, with lng244 a recommended SLS patch.
| >The text processing system is at the 2.3 level and contains online manuals.
| >Am I right?  Is the distributor right?
|
| Both are right ;-)
|
| The OS 2.3.3 is more a 'virtual' release number.
| You buy the 2.3.2 OS  plus VP/ix. Then You apply the Vp/ix Update A
| and get OS 2.3.3.
| You can't buy an OS package labeled 2.3.3.
+---------------

What's this "'virtual' release number" business all about.  SCO-Xenix
2.3.3 is an "actual" releave version of the Xenix Operating System.
Robert Andersson is very correct in his assumption that SCO-Xenix 2.3.2
plus the SCO-SLS upgrade < xnx155b > effects a radical change in the
operating system to SCO-Xenix 2.3.3.

Yes, it *was* true (and may still be) that installing 'VP/ix' Update A
did modify the Operating System to version 2.3.3, but *any* SCO-Xenix
2.3.2 user *without* 'VP/ix' upgrades their OS to 2.3.3 with the
SCO-SLS upgrade < xnx155b >.

I also beg to differ with you about being able to buy SCO-Xenix 2.3.3 --
it *is* for sale.  Call 'SCO' Customer Services Department at ..
(800) 347-4381, Monday through Friday, 6:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Pacific
Time, and you may get an authoritative reply!

+---------------
| I upgraded my DevSys 2.3.1 with lng095 to upgrade the non-ANSI 386 MSC
| Compiler to ANSI-C ver 5.1. I don't know lng244.
|
| The Text package is ver 2.3.0 and includes the man pages and nroff/troff.
+---------------

It'd be a whole lot easier if either of you would, first, download the
< info > file from 'SCO', to get the descriptions of all the SCO-SLS
upgrades....

> UUCP Connection information:
>
> Machine name: sosco
>
> Phone numbers: (408) 425-3502 (2 lines, 300-9600 baud V.32 standard)
>                (408) 429-1786 (9600 baud Telebit)
>
> Login name: uusls (forth character is the letter "l" rather than numeral "1")
> No password

...or to just give them a call on their "800" number (it is a "free" call
for us in the United States) or to 'Email' a message to ...
"{uunet|backbone}!sco.com!support" for current information (that's free
too!).  At least this way, incorrect information will not be circulated
to trusting people.

On a more friendly note, have a happy holiday season, to all....

Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backnone}!nshore!steve                         steve@nshore.uucp

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (12/18/90)

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) writes:

>No, 2.3.2 is the latest version.   The upgrade from 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 is
>free.  The upgrade to 2.3.2 will cost you some..

Can you post the reference for this piece of information? According to the
folks at SCO's Developer Relations, the highest version is 2.3.1. And,
since this is the topic of a personal conversation between me and someone
there, I'd like to get it straight once and for all (and, so I know if I
can thumb my nose and go 'nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah' /8^})

MD
--

alan@mq.com (Alan Mintz) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec15.000818.65@nshore.uucp>, steve@nshore.uucp (Stephen J. Walick) writes:
> As quoted from <1990Dec14.052710.780@robot.in-berlin.de> by karl@robot.in-berlin.de (Karl-P. Huestegge):

> | You can't buy an OS package labeled 2.3.3.
        ^^^^^
True.

> I also beg to differ with you about being able to buy SCO-Xenix 2.3.3 --
> it *is* for sale.  Call 'SCO' Customer Services Department at ..
> (800) 347-4381, Monday through Friday, 6:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Pacific
> Time, and you may get an authoritative reply!

I did. Straight from SCO's mouth:

1) The current release of the XENIX O/S is SCO XENIX 386GT 2.3.2.

2) XENIX 386AT (without SCSI and other misc. thingies) is NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
            ^^
3) The ONLY way to get 2.3.3 is via either a) VP/ix kernel mods or
   b) SLS xnx155b. Note that this updates the kernel to release 2.3.3 only.
   According to the SLS docs, the "files and utilities" are still considered
   to be release 2.3.2.

4) The current release of the SCO XENIX Developement System is 2.3.1. A 2.3.2
   release has been planned but is "several months away".

--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034 >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995 >