[comp.unix.xenix.sco] help with uucp needed

jay@gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) (12/25/90)

$ uucp wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z ~uucp

yeilds:

illegal  syntax wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z

How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?

J.

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (12/26/90)

jay@gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:

>$ uucp wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z ~uucp

Interesting.

>yeilds:

>illegal  syntax wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z

Understandably.

>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?

You don't. Even assuming we allowed rayssd to UUCP files from us, each
site in your path would also have to allow the calling site to UUCP to/from
them.

Sorry to break it to you, but either give up, or break down and call long
distance.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) (12/29/90)

In article <88@gdx.UUCP> jay@gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:

>$ uucp wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z ~uucp
>
>yeilds:
>
>illegal  syntax wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z
>
>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?

Indirect UUCP doesn't work for me either.  So far, the only reply has
been along the lines of "tough, call direct".

Which doesn't answer the question!  The manual claims it's fine, but
any attempt to have a!b!file as source gives "illegal syntax".  Assuming
I have permissions from the machines in the path, what's the problem?

Better yet, what's the fix?

Reason for doing this:  I have accounts on two machines, which are
connected through a third machine.  I'd like to request files from the
machine I'm working on, instead of having to login to the remote
machine and send the files (not always easy to do).  A direct UUCP
connection isn't possible between the two machines I'm interested in.

Any constructive advice appreciated.

- Paul Colley
  pacolley@violet.waterloo.edu or .ca
  "Quantum Mechanics:  The dreams stuff is made of"    - Ken Burnside

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.190803.19672@watdragon.waterloo.edu> pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) writes:
>In article <88@gdx.UUCP> jay@gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:
>>
>>$ uucp wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z ~uucp
>>
>>yeilds:
>>
>>illegal  syntax wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z
>>
>>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?
>
>Indirect UUCP doesn't work for me either.  So far, the only reply has
>been along the lines of "tough, call direct".
>
>Which doesn't answer the question!  The manual claims it's fine, but
>any attempt to have a!b!file as source gives "illegal syntax".  Assuming
>I have permissions from the machines in the path, what's the problem?

The uucp man page offers the syntax:
	uucp source.files destination.file
and then goes on to talk about how a "file name" may be of the form
a!b!..!file.

This is disingenuous and not fair, since there really IS a differerence in
what's OK to actually type for source.files as opposed to destination.file.

There is a comment line in the source code which is traduced by the man page.

The comment is:
	    /*  source files can have at most one ! */

The code which follows disallows more than one 'bang' in a source.files
specification but the man page doesn't tell you this!
(Hardly the only example of a less than perfect man page, is it?)

It's designed that way, IOW.

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr@jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.085551.21619@xenitec.on.ca> edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) writes:
>In article <892@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>>>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?
>>
>>You don't. Even assuming we allowed rayssd to UUCP files from us, each
>>site in your path would also have to allow the calling site to UUCP to/from
>>them.
>>
>>Sorry to break it to you, but either give up, or break down and call long
>>distance.
>
>We could argue whether the uucp man page is broken as we did in
>sco.list a few months back, or I could suggest that "uuencode"
>is the common tool used to allow one to email non-ascii files
>along a multiple hop path.

That's fine if I have files and want to send them to you across three hops.
I don't thank that you, however, can cause those file to be sent by issuing a
command on your machine. You have to ask me to cause the files to be mailed.

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr@jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec28.190803.19672@watdragon.waterloo.edu> pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) writes:
>Indirect UUCP doesn't work for me either.  So far, the only reply has
>been along the lines of "tough, call direct".

Perhaps one uux along the route is "broken".  It has to be able to send
a file more than one hop.  Another consideration is that many flavors of
uucp won't send a file greater than a certain size; you might try splitting
it up into pieces and combining them on the receiving end.

(Maybe you can split the file up using a uux command, assuming the
permissions are set, and then request the various pieces...?)
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
tcnet!marilyn!shawn      {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

chrisc@astroatc.UUCP (Chris Czerwinski) (01/04/91)

In article <1990Dec28.190803.19672@watdragon.waterloo.edu> pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) writes:
:-)In article <88@gdx.UUCP> jay@gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:
:-)>
:-)>$ uucp wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z ~uucp
:-)>
:-)>yeilds:
:-)>
:-)>illegal  syntax wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z
:-)>
:-)>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?
:-)
:-)Indirect UUCP doesn't work for me either.  So far, the only reply has
:-)been along the lines of "tough, call direct".
:-)
:-)Which doesn't answer the question!  The manual claims it's fine, but
:-)any attempt to have a!b!file as source gives "illegal syntax".  Assuming
:-)I have permissions from the machines in the path, what's the problem?
:-)
:-)Better yet, what's the fix?
:-)

I encountered this problem when I first started experimenting with uucp.
One thing you may want to try is to precede your ! with \ (ie. a\!b\!file)
This will have the shell interpret the ! literally instead of a command
such as !!...

--
USENET, a cooperatively run anarchic worldwide bulletin-board that receives
an estimated 8 Mbytes of traffic daily and is received by more than 1 million

          Chris Czerwinski     ...!uunet!uwvax!astroatc!chrisc
	  Astronautics Corp. of America