[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Telnet programs to connect to Xenix

lance@embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) (12/31/90)

connect to SCO's TCP/IP package.  I have tried NCSA's Telnet packages on
both the PC and the Mac, and the MacIP package.  Although FTP and Finger
work fine, Telnet almost never completes the negotiation and the
connection fails.  I would like some suggestions of Telnet packages that
have had success in connecting with SCO Xenix.  One possibility is
InterCon's products for both PC and Mac.  However, they are expensive
and I am not about to invest in them without total assurance that they
will work with SCO Xenix.

From messages on the net I know that I am not the only site with this
problem.  Has anyone heard whether SCO will fix this in a SLS?  Is it
fixed in the latest vesion of SCO Unix?

If anyone comes up with a solution, I will post it here.  Thanks.

Lance Antrim
Negotiation Systems
lance@nsi.com
uunet!embassy!lance

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (01/01/91)

In article <113@embassy.nsi.com> lance@embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>connect to SCO's TCP/IP package.  I have tried NCSA's Telnet packages on
>both the PC and the Mac, and the MacIP package.  Although FTP and Finger

I used NCSA Telnet 2.2 on a 386 PC using the WD8003E card and NCSA Telnet 2.3
on a Mac IIx with the Apple Ethernet card talking to a Tandy 4000LX running
XENIX 2.3.2 and SCO TCP/IP with no problems.  The Tandy 4000LX is now
running in a network with 3C503 and 3C523 boards and although I have no
problems connecting to the 4000LX from a Sun 386i/250 on the same wire
I am told that users on PC's and PS/2's have problems.

At our site (IU CS Department) we dropped the 3C501/503 cards with NCSA
Telnet because of frequent lock-ups under NCSA Telnet; these went away
when we switched to WD8003E cards (which are a lot cheaper anyway, cost
$134 in NY).

I had similar problems with 3C501 and 503 cards under SCO UNIX 3.2.1
and SCO TCP/IP (ODT 1.0).  The 3C501 card worked, but netstat returned
many errors; the 503 showed no errors but I could not connect from a
PC using NCSA Telnet about six feet away.  Switching to the WD8003EPR
solved the problem.  I've had problems using the WD8013 (16-bit) but
believe these to be installation problems; the 8013 is now explicitly
supported by SCO.

For various reasons, then, I've standardized on the WD cards (especially
as there's a WD BBS that offers latest versions of drivers/test software,
etc.).
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

bevans@tanus.oz.au (Brian Evans Esq) (01/06/91)

lance@embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>connect to SCO's TCP/IP package.  I have tried NCSA's Telnet packages on
>both the PC and the Mac, and the MacIP package.  Although FTP and Finger
>work fine, Telnet almost never completes the negotiation and the
>connection fails.  I would like some suggestions of Telnet packages that
>have had success in connecting with SCO Xenix.  One possibility is
>InterCon's products for both PC and Mac.  However, they are expensive
>and I am not about to invest in them without total assurance that they
>will work with SCO Xenix.

I have been using MCSATELNET to connect to my SCO XENIX box for about 2 months
now. It will also work in connecting to a local SCO UNIX box.  My advice would
be to check the configuration file(s) on the ncsa package.

--
 _--_|\        Brian Evans      Internet: bevans@tanus.oz.au
/      \       P.O Box 232    Compu$erve: 72500,1355 | Fax: +61 3 412-1551

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) writes:
>In article <113@embassy.nsi.com> lance@embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>>connect to SCO's TCP/IP package.  I have tried NCSA's Telnet packages on
>>both the PC and the Mac, and the MacIP package.  Although FTP and Finger
>
>I used NCSA Telnet 2.2 on a 386 PC using the WD8003E card and NCSA Telnet 2.3
>on a Mac IIx with the Apple Ethernet card talking to a Tandy 4000LX running
>XENIX 2.3.2 and SCO TCP/IP with no problems.  The Tandy 4000LX is now
>running in a network with 3C503 and 3C523 boards and although I have no
>problems connecting to the 4000LX from a Sun 386i/250 on the same wire
>I am told that users on PC's and PS/2's have problems.
>
>At our site (IU CS Department) we dropped the 3C501/503 cards with NCSA
>Telnet because of frequent lock-ups under NCSA Telnet; these went away
>when we switched to WD8003E cards (which are a lot cheaper anyway, cost
>$134 in NY).
>
>I had similar problems with 3C501 and 503 cards under SCO UNIX 3.2.1
>and SCO TCP/IP (ODT 1.0).  The 3C501 card worked, but netstat returned
>many errors; the 503 showed no errors but I could not connect from a
>PC using NCSA Telnet about six feet away.  Switching to the WD8003EPR
>solved the problem.  I've had problems using the WD8013 (16-bit) but
>believe these to be installation problems; the 8013 is now explicitly
>supported by SCO.
>
>For various reasons, then, I've standardized on the WD cards (especially
>as there's a WD BBS that offers latest versions of drivers/test software,
>etc.).
>--

I have had some of these experiences myself and I too have standardised on
WD8003e or the WD8003eb which seem to work well.  I have however been able to
connect to XENIX and UNIX (SCO) using a 3C523 (Microchannel) on my PS/2.