[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Problem setting up UUCP

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/26/90)

   I've been trying to set up a UUCP connection with only partial success.
Originally, it was giving me "garbage or bad modem cable" as soon as the
internal modem started to dial; using an external modem solved this.

   Now I'm at the point where I can send files from my machine to another,
but I can't receive files.  The sysadmin at the other end found a permission
problem, but that didn't fix the problem.  After my machine has finished
sending its stuff, the other machine starts to send me whatever's waiting;
that's normal enough.  But sooner or later (usually sooner), my machine
will fail to send an acknowledgement.  The other end will try every few
seconds; nothing will happen.  Only once has an entire file managed to
make it to my machine; often, it dies on the very first incoming packet.

   I've set the permissions of everything in /usr/spool/uucp to rwxrwxrwx,
owned by uucp; I've run uucheck -v and it doesn't complain.  Any ideas
from those of you who've successfully set up UUCP?

   Oh, and one other little question:  using the standard Xenix mailer, how
do I stop it from dialing out every time I send a mail message?  Not a big
deal; I can live with it if I have to, but I'd rather plow through my
mailbox and then send the whole lot at once.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (12/27/90)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:

> But sooner or later (usually sooner), my machine
> will fail to send an acknowledgement.  The other end will try every few
> seconds; nothing will happen.

This may be character overrun on the serial port.  If you're using the
standard COM[12] serial ports at high speed (19200 or over, or even 9600
if you're running TCP/IP) this may happen.  Try and see if a lower
baud rate happens.  If it's a slow modem connection, the other possible
problem could be that your modem is configured to use xon-xoff flow
control, switch that off, if that's the case.

>    Oh, and one other little question:  using the standard Xenix mailer, how
> do I stop it from dialing out every time I send a mail message?

1) install smail 2.5, where that can be fixed in the configuration
2) if you *insist* on using SCO's mailer, the only other cure is
to make /usr/lib/uucp/uucico not executable by "normal" users, and make
sure that uucp's crontab calls some polling script regularly.

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen Barney) (12/27/90)

In reference to the article about changing uucico to prevent
automatic calling...

Changing ownership and/or permissions of the uucico process
under XENIX can cause it to fail intermittantly.  A more correct
method is to set the "Time to Call" in the Systems file (use
uuinstall to access that) to "Never."  When that is done,
uucico will never be started for outbound mail.  Then, a polling
setup can be run to periodically call, or anyone can issue a
manual call by using

     /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -Suunet -r1

to initiate the call.  Regular mail and uucp commands will simply
queue, and wait for a transmission to be manually started.

Hope this helps!

uunet!sungate!glen

Glen / Sungate!            | Sorry.. you want me.. to come and lie down
uunet!sungate!glen         | there.. in front of the bulldozer.. instead
glen%sungate@uunet.UU.NET  | of Mr. Dent..  in the mud???

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec26.210351.7583@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
$silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:
$> But sooner or later (usually sooner), my machine
$> will fail to send an acknowledgement.  The other end will try every few
$> seconds; nothing will happen.
$This may be character overrun on the serial port.  If you're using the

   I've had that suggested, but I'm only running at 2400 bps.

$standard COM[12] serial ports at high speed (19200 or over, or even 9600

   Note that SCO doesn't officially support rates greater than 9600 bps;
they're there for you to try out, but not guaranteed to work.

   One funny thing I just noticed last night:  if I start up uucico without
any work to send, it generally won't work.  If, on the other hand, I send
something, it seems to receive OK.  I'm going to play around with this for
a while and see if that holds up and, if so, see if I can find any difference
between what it does when there's work and what it does when there isn't.
The site I'm fed from also runs Xenix 2.3.2; I may try getting a feed from
another site (a Sun 2) to see if it's perhaps a bug in the Xenix uucico.
--

peter@secyt.edu.ar (Pedro Victor Pintus) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec26.210351.7583@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:

[ stuff deleted ]

>>    Oh, and one other little question:  using the standard Xenix mailer, how
>> do I stop it from dialing out every time I send a mail message?
>
>1) install smail 2.5, where that can be fixed in the configuration
>2) if you *insist* on using SCO's mailer, the only other cure is
>to make /usr/lib/uucp/uucico not executable by "normal" users, and make
>sure that uucp's crontab calls some polling script regularly.

No, it's not necessary to completely do 2) if you want to continue
using SCO's mailer.
Just put a line saying 'spoolonly' in /etc/default/mail, and voila!
You, of course, must make cron regulary poll all your dialout uucp
connections.
Hope this helps you.

Happy holydays!
|  Pedro Victor Pintus                          |
|  Secretaria de Ciencia y Tecnologia           |
|  Buenos Aires, Rep. Argentina                 |
|  Internet: peter@secyt.ar                     |
|  UUCP    : ...!uunet!banyc!atina!secyt!peter  |

jim@cdp.UUCP (01/03/91)

>Just put a line saying 'spoolonly' in /etc/default/mail, and voila!

Does this really work?  (I know, I could try it.)  How did you find this
information.  I looked in through all my manuals and couldn't find any
mention of 'spoolonly'.  /etc/default/mail is not even mentioned in the
list of relevant files in the mail man entry.

Jim

root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (01/06/91)

}
}Does this really work?  (I know, I could try it.)  How did you find this
}information.  I looked in through all my manuals and couldn't find any
}mention of 'spoolonly'.  /etc/default/mail is not even mentioned in the
}list of relevant files in the mail man entry.

I don't see how it could.  If you do a strings of /usr/bin/mail,
you'll find no reference to a spoolonly text, or /etc/default/mail.

--Bill

rodeen@buddha.ncc.umn.edu (Rick Odeen) (01/07/91)

In article <6736@crash.cts.com> root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) writes:
 >In <144100018@cdp> jim@cdp.UUCP writes:
 >}>Just put a line saying 'spoolonly' in /etc/default/mail, and voila!
 >I don't see how it could.  If you do a strings of /usr/bin/mail,
 >you'll find no reference to a spoolonly text, or /etc/default/mail.

If you do a strings of /usr/lib/mail/mail.local there is a reference
to spoolonly..

--
Rick Odeen                                    ...!rutgers!umn-cs!buddha!rodeen
Nutrition Coordinating Center                        rodeen@buddha.ncc.umn.edu

peter@secyt.gov.ar (Pedro Victor Pintus) (01/09/91)

In article <6736@crash.cts.com> root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) writes:
>In <144100018@cdp> jim@cdp.UUCP writes:
>}>Just put a line saying 'spoolonly' in /etc/default/mail, and voila!
>}
>}Does this really work?  (I know, I could try it.)  How did you find this
>}information.  I looked in through all my manuals and couldn't find any
>}mention of 'spoolonly'.  /etc/default/mail is not even mentioned in the
>}list of relevant files in the mail man entry.
>
>I don't see how it could.  If you do a strings of /usr/bin/mail,
>you'll find no reference to a spoolonly text, or /etc/default/mail.
>
>--Bill

I (as the original poster of this 'spoolonly' gotcha), can assure that
it works; I found this when I was in the same trouble using SCO's mail
and execmail, instead of a reasonable mailer as I am using now (smail 3.1,
btw).
I agree, the info isn't easy to find; I found it (with very much work)
in the Xenix SysV Release 2.2 OS User's Guide, Chapter 'Building a
Communication System', on top of the page # 6-39.

I quote the related paragraph:

"'uux' is used by 'mail(C)' when sending mail to a remote site. If you do not
want 'mail' to call the remote site inmediately, place the line 'spoolonly' in
the file '/etc/default/mail/'"

It's a strange thing, since, as you says, (and I check it), neither 'mail'
nor 'execmail' or 'uux' refers to /etc/default/mail or 'spoolonly'.
But, believe it or not, it works.

Cheers,