[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Don't strip /xenix

grwalter@wcbcs.uucp (Fred Walter) (01/12/91)

In a previous article I asked why I shouldn't strip /xenix.... I just found
out. At least one command (w - it complains with "can't find namelist" or
some such thing) doesn't like it.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/13/91)

In comp.unix.xenix.sco, grwalter@wcbcs.uucp (Fred Walter) typed:
$In a previous article I asked why I shouldn't strip /xenix.... I just found
$out. At least one command (w - it complains with "can't find namelist" or
$some such thing) doesn't like it.

   ps also won't like you, and that's a pretty important command (if you
don't believe me, take a look through /etc/shutdown).  In fact, anything
that needs to look at the process table will probably break if you strip
/xenix.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan12.235536.12144@xrtll.uucp> silver@xrtll.UUCP (Hi Ho Silver) writes:
>In comp.unix.xenix.sco, grwalter@wcbcs.uucp (Fred Walter) typed:
>$In a previous article I asked why I shouldn't strip /xenix.... I just found
>$out. At least one command (w - it complains with "can't find namelist" or
>$some such thing) doesn't like it.
>
>   ps also won't like you, and that's a pretty important command (if you
>don't believe me, take a look through /etc/shutdown).  In fact, anything
>that needs to look at the process table will probably break if you strip
>/xenix.
>--

In my xenix 286 2.2.3 system, there's a 'strip xenix' in the kernal
makefile.

--
                    Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
      simon@ms.uky.edu    simon@UKMA.BITNET    {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon