[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Xenix with 80486 machine.

khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) (01/15/91)

Hi, Does any body know if Xenix can run on 80486 machine ?

Does it need a special version of Xenix ? Will the Xenix-386 OS work on
80486 machine ? Has any body tried this ?

I would appreciate if any one has this experiance gives some comments ?

Thanks

khioe@mona.jpl.nasa.gov
elroy!mona.jpl.nasa.gov!khioe

bent@lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) (01/15/91)

khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:

>Hi, Does any body know if Xenix can run on 80486 machine ?

>Does it need a special version of Xenix ? Will the Xenix-386 OS work on
>80486 machine ? Has any body tried this ?

No special version is needed for Xenix as far as I know.  The hardest part
about setting up a 486 for the first time was the d*mn EISA configuration
right.  Once that was done, it was installation as normal.

>I would appreciate if any one has this experiance gives some comments ?

According to some benchmarks I ran, our Compaq Deskpro 486/33L was 3 times
faster than a Compaq Deskpro 386/25 with a coprocessor for in-core processing.
(Ram disks/shell commands/etc), with disk access, your mileage will vary.
I'm waiting for the 486 to come back so I can test the X11R4 distribution on
it.

>Thanks
>khioe@mona.jpl.nasa.gov
>elroy!mona.jpl.nasa.gov!khioe

No Prob.

Ben Taylor
Systems Administrator
LCC Incorporated.
lccinc!uunet!bent

mike (Michael Stefanik) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.224427.27778@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:
:Hi, Does any body know if Xenix can run on 80486 machine ?
:Does it need a special version of Xenix ? Will the Xenix-386 OS work on
:80486 machine ? Has any body tried this ?
:I would appreciate if any one has this experiance gives some comments ?

We have a few customers running 386 XENIX 2.3.2 on a 486 (16M of memory,
1.2G of disk, Exabyte DAT, etc.) and the machine works swimmingly.
--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike