[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Multi-volume diskette support.

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (01/16/91)

Yesterday I put out a call for information on programs which can handle
Xenix multi-volume tar formats.  Well, I found one which claims to do
so, although I haven't tried it yet.  Pax will read and write IEEE
compliant tar, cpio, and pax archives.  It will write multi-volume
archives, including the "binary diskette" format used by micro
unix systems on floppy diskettes.  There is an MSDOS version available.
In case it isn't compatible with the vendor tar or cpio, pax itself will
port to many unix systems, including Xenix.  Ron.
--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (01/17/91)

In article <4683@vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
>Yesterday I put out a call for information on programs which can handle
>Xenix multi-volume tar formats.  Well, I found one which claims to do
>so, although I haven't tried it yet.  Pax will read and write IEEE
>compliant tar, cpio, and pax archives.  It will write multi-volume
>archives, including the "binary diskette" format used by micro
>unix systems on floppy diskettes.  There is an MSDOS version available.
>In case it isn't compatible with the vendor tar or cpio, pax itself will
>port to many unix systems, including Xenix.  Ron.

Does anybody have an idea where I can get the DOS version on pax via a uucp
conection or a dos BBS.

		Thanks in advance

David Hoopes                              Tallgras Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214

greg@cyborg.nec.com (Greg Doane) (01/17/91)

In article <4683@vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
>Yesterday I put out a call for information on programs which can handle
>Xenix multi-volume tar formats.  Well, I found one which claims to do
>so, although I haven't tried it yet.  Pax will read and write IEEE
>compliant tar, cpio, and pax archives.  It will write multi-volume
>archives, including the "binary diskette" format used by micro
>unix systems on floppy diskettes.  There is an MSDOS version available.
>In case it isn't compatible with the vendor tar or cpio, pax itself will
>port to many unix systems, including Xenix.  Ron.
>--
>| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
>| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |
>| Oakland University              | Voice:    (313) 370-2247                |
>| Rochester, Michigan  48309-4401 |                                         |

Where is it available from, is it PD or commercial, which media types
does it support, and if you've tested it yet, how well does it work?

Thanks,
work:   greg@tdd.sj.nec.com     |    ##| (--- |##    |
school: gregd@ocf.berkeley.edu  |    ##|    \\|##    |
Q: Is school any less work?     --------      --------    Ouch!