[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Low uucp performance with fast modems

svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) (01/09/91)

I have been using a V32 9600 baud modem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2. The
transfer to our feed is (of course) uucp. When checking figures for
transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
seems a little pale to me.

Is there any way to easily increase the speed of uucico? Like for
instance changing the block size or something? Any tips are welcome.

/svante

--
Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (01/12/91)

> I have been using a V32 9600 baud modem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2. The
> transfer to our feed is (of course) uucp. When checking figures for
> transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
> seems a little pale to me.

No, that's about what you get when you run UUCP over a V.32 modem.

Try buying a Telebit modem, which includes UUCP spoofing, and watch
throughput jump to 1300cps or so.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

wdh@holos0.uucp (Weaver Hickerson) (01/15/91)

Somebody wrote

>> I have been using a V32 9600 baud modem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2. The
>> transfer to our feed is (of course) uucp. When checking figures for
>> transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
>> seems a little pale to me.

Somebody else writes
>No, that's about what you get when you run UUCP over a V.32 modem.
>
>Try buying a Telebit modem, which includes UUCP spoofing, and watch
>throughput jump to 1300cps or so.
>
>--
>Marc Unangst               |
>mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"
>...!umich!leebai!mudos!mju |

Is this true if there is not a telebit on the other end of the
connection???

Sage advice if so, not so sage if not.

Weaver
--
-Weaver Hickerson   Voice (404) 496-1358   :  ..!edu!gatech!holos0!wdh

root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (01/16/91)

In <1991Jan14.200720.19818@holos0.uucp> wdh@holos0.uucp (Weaver Hickerson) writes:
}Somebody wrote
}>> I have been using a V32 9600 baud modem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2. The
}>> transfer to our feed is (of course) uucp. When checking figures for
}>> transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
}>> seems a little pale to me.
}>
}Somebody else writes
}
}Is this true if there is not a telebit on the other end of the
}connection???

Of course any comm connection is going to have to have like modems on
either end.  So you must go Telebit to Telebit.  If you do that, and
things are set up correctly, you should be able to see speeds up to
about 1800cps or so.  At least that's what I see here.  It varies
depending on the site on the other end, from about 1300 to 1800.
That's outbound.  Inbound, at least with Xenix's HDB uucp, I've never
seen anything above about 1100cps.  Anyone *really* know why this is?

If you go V32 to V32 you should be able to see numbers in the
700-900cps range, slightly higher if your V32's have V42.bis.

--Bill

michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) (01/16/91)

>>> transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
>>> seems a little pale to me.
>>No, that's about what you get when you run UUCP over a V.32 modem.
>>Try buying a Telebit modem, which includes UUCP spoofing, and watch
>>throughput jump to 1300cps or so.
>Is this true if there is not a telebit on the other end of the
>connection???

I have found that the only reliable numbers you can use for the Telebit
are the inbound figures. The Telebits tend to buffer the data on outbound
transfers giving very unrealistic figures when uucico does its calculations.

For example, I connect to a site on Saipan in the Pacific every night.
We both have Telebit T-2500s. Both of us show outbound traffic at over
800 cps but inbound traffic between 200-300 cps. (Don't be fooled by these
low numbers. At least the modems can make and hold a connection. The 2400
baud modem I have can't connect at all.) The difference between outbound
and inbound seems to be simply the buffering effect of the Telebit on
the outbound files.

Michael
--
Michael Batchelor--Systems/Operations Engineer #compliments and complaints
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of   #   letterbox@csms.com

horke@rhoen.in-berlin.de (Bernhard Kroenung) (01/17/91)

wdh@holos0.uucp (Weaver Hickerson) writes:

>Somebody wrote

>>> I have been using a V32 9600 baud modem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2. The
>>> transfer to our feed is (of course) uucp. When checking figures for
>>> transfers I seem to get something like 500-600 chars per second. This
>>> seems a little pale to me.

Jep - I use an T2500 and an HST ds - working together at 9600 Baud V.32
both wirth 19200 Baud DTE-Speed - > 940 cps (windowsize 7)

>>Try buying a Telebit modem, which includes UUCP spoofing, and watch
>>throughput jump to 1300cps or so.

>Is this true if there is not a telebit on the other end of the
>connection???

With 2 Telebit`s you get about 1500-1700 cps - but only with two Modems
at PEP-Mode with spoofing - otherwise you should use V.32 full-duplex

  Ciao
    Bernhard
--
Bernhard Kroenung, Bahnhofstr. 8, D-W6408 Ebersburg/Rhoen, Germany +49 6656 386
horke@rhoen.in-berlin.de    sysop@fulmin.zer.sub.org    Kronung@DGIHRZ01.BITNET

svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) (01/19/91)

>Jep - I use an T2500 and an HST ds - working together at 9600 Baud V.32
>both wirth 19200 Baud DTE-Speed - > 940 cps (windowsize 7)

Then, how do you change the window size? My manuals for HDB as very
sketchy and some pages are missing.

/svante

--
Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se