[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Seagate IDEs

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (01/20/91)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

>Conner has much better quality control than Seagate.  But since the ST1239A is
>really an Imprimis drive, you couldn't go wrong with keeping that.

What about the Seagate 1144AT?  Is that really an Imprimis as well?

Does someone have a list of which "Seagate" drives are really made by
Seagate, and which are made by companies with quality control?

--richard

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (01/23/91)

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>Conner has much better quality control than Seagate.  But since the ST1239A is
>>really an Imprimis drive, you couldn't go wrong with keeping that.
>
>What about the Seagate 1144AT?  Is that really an Imprimis as well?
>
>Does someone have a list of which "Seagate" drives are really made by
>Seagate, and which are made by companies with quality control?

According to my book on Imprimis, it's not an Imprimis drive.  I have a
brochure with the old Imprimis part numbers along with their new ST part
numbers.  That does not mean that it is not an Imprimis drive.  Keep in mind
that Imprimis is now a subdivision of Seagate.  It could be a new addition to
the Swift 3.5" IDE family.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/25/91)

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:

>What about the Seagate 1144AT?  Is that really an Imprimis as well?
>Does someone have a list of which "Seagate" drives are really made by
>Seagate, and which are made by companies with quality control?

	I have a Seagate OEM Pocket Catalog (Summer 1990) which lists
Swift and Wren drives, but does not list the 1144AT, yet does list other
11xx drives. BTW, there is some evidence that Seagate is moving more of
its production out to Singapore. That's bad news for the folks down in
Oklahoma.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech