[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Trouble with TeX3.0 and ranlib.

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (01/29/91)

I have been trying to install TeX3.0 into Xenix '386 2.3.2.  Finally,
I got a good compile through and through (gcc) with the exception of
the mf subdirectory (MetaFont).  Finally, I resolved my problem by
removing mf from alldirs, causing its generation to be ignored.
---
The problem was with TeX3.0/mf/MFwindows/windows.a (if memory serves me
correctly).  Using the xenix ranlib, ld claims this isn't a valid archive.
Using the ranlib distributed by Steve and Ron at RoboBar, the ranlib dumps
core.
___
Any suggestions, anyone?

BTW, I don't really need MetaFont because we can download all the fonts we
desire from a big bertha.  It would be nice to be self-sufficient, though.
Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (01/30/91)

In article <4919@vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
>I have been trying to install TeX3.0 into Xenix '386 2.3.2.  Finally,
>The problem was with TeX3.0/mf/MFwindows/windows.a (if memory serves me
>correctly).  Using the xenix ranlib, ld claims this isn't a valid archive.
>Using the ranlib distributed by Steve and Ron at RoboBar, the ranlib dumps
>core.
>___
>Any suggestions, anyone?

There is no explicit MetaFont display support for SCO (unless you have
X Windows).  As a result, the source code for MF.../windows.a is all
#ifdef'ed out of existence and thus there are NO SYMBOLS in the
archive!  Ranlib can't handle this.  (And even if it could, ld would
probably get confused.)  The easy out is to edit MF/Makefile and
remove the reference to windows.a.

Hope this helps.