[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Loggin in problem from Unix term. to a Xenix term. with direct line

srb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Sreedhar Barakam) (02/05/91)

	We have a direct line between a Unix (BSD 4.2 ; NBI 520 box with wy85
	console) box and a Xenix (SCO 2.3.1  Acer 1100) box.  No problem
	logging into Unix from Xenix using "cu".  But trying tip hard9600
	from Unix allows a login only with ^J after login name and password.
	After loggin in only a single word command is accepted, but not a two
	worded command liek: echo $TERM gives echo $TERM: not found.  This
	means space is not recognized and it is looking it as a single word.

	Where am I doing wrong.  Direct line is between serial port tty2a of
	Xenix and ttyh2 of Unix.  I have 16tty2a in /etc/ttys and wy85 in
	/etc/ttytype on the Xenix side.  Any information would be appreciated.

	Sreedhar.   srb@beach.cis.ufl.edu

russ@bbx.basis.com (Russ Kepler) (02/05/91)

In article <26664@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> srb@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
> We have a direct line between a Unix (BSD 4.2 ; NBI 520 box with wy85
> console) box and a Xenix (SCO 2.3.1  Acer 1100) box.  No problem
> logging into Unix from Xenix using "cu".  But trying tip hard9600
> from Unix allows a login only with ^J after login name and password.
>[other symptoms deleted]

This sounds very much like a parity problem.  Setup the tip to call
out using no parity and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

[Seems that parity is chewing up a lot of my time lately...]

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis Int'l     SNAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
UUCP: bbx.basis.com!russ                                    PHONE: 505-345-5232