[comp.unix.xenix.sco] fsck and inodes?

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (02/04/91)

In article <Fmw161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
>Bottom line: recently I get a message from fsck whe I boot into xenix and
>check the file systems. It says "POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=1993". I've
>tried to RTFM for a week and still haven't a clue. How can I identify the
>possibly suspect file? I'd like to delete it and replace it if necessary
>from backup rather than reload the entire system. Rebuilding the system is
>so tedious :-(

It is a rather simple matter, be logged on the system as root access
and use the following command:

ncheck -i 1993
It will search the filesystem for any file(s) attached to inode 1993 and
give you the file name.  I could be something like a core file, or some
type of log file.  It could be something major also, so it is best to
check it out first.

--

bruce@chumley.UUCP (Bruce L. Stewart) (02/06/91)

In article <FmyRw4w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
> ... text deleted ...

>Bottom line: recently I get a message from fsck whe I boot into xenix and
>check the file systems. It says "POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=1993". I've
>tried to RTFM for a week and still haven't a clue. How can I identify the
>possibly suspect file? I'd like to delete it and replace it if necessary
>from backup rather than reload the entire system. Rebuilding the system is
>so tedious :-(

1.  man ncheck.
2.  ncheck -i 1993 /dev/root (or whichever filesystem you wish; if all
    filesystems are mounted, ncheck -i 1993 will check each one for inode 1993
    and report the corresponding file.

Hope this helps.

P.S.  The fsck message is often nothing to worry about.  Large database files
      can generate this message; fsck is just alerting you to a possible
      problem, not positively identifying one.  Checking it out is always the
      right approach.

-bruce stewart
--
--- Bruce L. Stewart (the digital demento) ---------------------------------