[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Wanted: Berkely's telnetd for Xenix!

ram@lionet.wesley.oz.au (Richard Muirden) (01/24/91)

I need the BSD telnetd compiled for Xenix 2.3.2 (386) ! If
anyone can send me the binary I'd be most happy!

regards,

Richard Muirden

Richard Muirden,                         |Humble Computer Science Student &
System Administrator,                    |Star Trek Fan!
Wesley College Melbourne (Prahran Campus)+--My opinions are my own-----------
mail: ram@lionet.wesley.OZ.AU            |mail: s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU
Quote: "Humans smile with such little provocation", Spock, "Journey to Babel"

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (01/25/91)

In article <83@lionet.wesley.oz.au> ram@lionet.wesley.oz.au (Richard Muirden) writes:
>I need the BSD telnetd compiled for Xenix 2.3.2 (386) ! If
>anyone can send me the binary I'd be most happy!

Telnetd won't do you any good unless you have Berkeley sockets installed.
You get Berkeley sockets with the streams and TCP/IP package.  But, this
already gives you an implementation of telnetd.

I think you are looking for a free way to get TCP/IP support.  If you find
one, let me know!  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |

ram@lionet.wesley.oz.au (Richard Muirden) (02/05/91)

In article <4841@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
> In article <83@lionet.wesley.oz.au> ram@lionet.wesley.oz.au (Richard Muirden) writes:
> >I need the BSD telnetd compiled for Xenix 2.3.2 (386) ! If
> >anyone can send me the binary I'd be most happy!
>
> Telnetd won't do you any good unless you have Berkeley sockets installed.
> You get Berkeley sockets with the streams and TCP/IP package.  But, this
> already gives you an implementation of telnetd.

I know. I have the TCP/IP package. However due to a problem (documented
in this newsgroup) with SCO's telnetd program connections with certain
TCP/IP programs on the PC are not (or rarely) made.

In this newsgroup it was pointed out that using the BSD telnetd would
solve this problem.

> I think you are looking for a free way to get TCP/IP support.  If you find
> one, let me know!  Ron.

No I'm not. See above.

> --
> | Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
> | School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |
> | Oakland University              | Voice:    (313) 370-2247                |
> | Rochester, Michigan  48309-4401 |                                         |

Richard Muirden,                         |Humble Computer Science Student &
System Administrator,                    |Star Trek Fan!
Wesley College Melbourne (Prahran Campus)+--My opinions are my own-----------
mail: ram@lionet.wesley.oz.au            |mail: s892024@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au
"Excuse me, I'm looking for Nuclear Wessels" - Chekov, STIV:TVH

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (02/08/91)

In article <104@lionet.wesley.oz.au> ram@lionet.wesley.oz.au (Richard Muirden) writes:
>> >I need the BSD telnetd compiled for Xenix 2.3.2 (386) ! If
>> >anyone can send me the binary I'd be most happy!

The BSD telnetd program is freely available.  Its source can be found on a
variety of archives.  ucbarpa.berkeley.edu, uunet.uu.net, and
wuarchive.wustl.edu are places that probably carry it.  Can you compile the
source yourself or is part of the problem no development system?  Ron.

--

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (02/11/91)

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:

>Can you compile the
>source yourself or is part of the problem no development system?

Not only would he require the development system, he would also need the
TCP/IP development system for TCP/IP functions, header files, etc.

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / They're not "bombs".
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  They're "gifts".

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) (02/17/91)

The summary line says it all.  We've got Excelan on two machines, and SCO's
tcp/ip seems to be braindead.  Are there other tcp/ip vendors out there?

--
                    Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
      simon@ms.uky.edu    simon@UKMA.BITNET    {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (02/17/91)

simon@ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:

> The summary line says it all.  We've got Excelan on two machines, and SCO's
> tcp/ip seems to be braindead.  Are there other tcp/ip vendors out there?
>
> --
>                     Simon Gales@The University of Kentucky
>       simon@ms.uky.edu    simon@UKMA.BITNET    {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon

Just to let you believe there may be other tcp/ip sources, I'm running
Interlan's NP621-386 package on SCO Xenix SVr2.3.2, and it mostly works OK.
There are two features that "bug" me -- rsh is renamed rshl and rcp is
renamed rcpy (these are due to a name conflict in the Xenix mail (Micnet?)
stuff). The Telnetd seems to be buggy in that it seems to cook everything. I
can't find a way to force a raw and talking though my dealer to Inteerlan
doesn't produce any result beyond "the price of an upgrade package is $xxx".
The telentd thing is a nuissance; for example ^S and ^Q get translated to
the literal chars that I just typed. So xon/xoff is disabled in a nasty way.
I tend to use rlogin when I can since it (rlogind) works better. Keep
looking tho. I believe source is available (like from Gnu) for many tcp/ip
utilities. Hope this helps.

--
Travis Bissett             NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com       1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines