[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Deamon to execute a program automatically

khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) (01/23/91)

Hi, I need some information on how to create a deamon from the Xenix-OS.

I would like to create a deamon that will execute a program at certain time
every night. How can I do that ?

ie, at 2:00 am I would like to execute data backup automatically.

Thank you for your help/information

Kent
khioe@mona.jpl.nasa.gov
elroy!mona.jpl.nasa.gov!khioe

mike (Michael Stefanik) (01/24/91)

In an article, Kent Hioe writes:
>Hi, I need some information on how to create a deamon from the Xenix-OS.
>I would like to create a deamon that will execute a program at certain time
>every night. How can I do that ?
>ie, at 2:00 am I would like to execute data backup automatically.

Look up the contabs entry in the manual; basically, there is already a
daemon called 'cron' that executes commands at scheduled times.  This
daemon reads files in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs that contain the commands
in question.  For example, to do the backup, you would put an entry in
/usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root that looks like:

0 2 * * * /usr/local/bin/do_backup

Again, it's all in the manual.
--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

matt@medicod.UUCP (Matt Smith) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan22.174347.5680@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:

>Hi, I need some information on how to create a deamon from the Xenix-OS.
>
>I would like to create a deamon that will execute a program at certain time
>every night. How can I do that ?
>
>ie, at 2:00 am I would like to execute data backup automatically.

It already exists.  Look in your manual under cron(C) in your user
reference manual

molnar@neis.UUCP (Christopher Molnar) (01/26/91)

In article <18@medicod.UUCP> matt@medicod.UUCP (Matt Smith) writes:
>>Hi, I need some information on how to create a deamon from the Xenix-OS.
>>I would like to create a deamon that will execute a program at certain time
>>every night. How can I do that ?
>>ie, at 2:00 am I would like to execute data backup automatically.
>
>It already exists.  Look in your manual under cron(C) in your user
>reference manual
Sorry to quote all again, but is it possible to use this to run a vpix
application in the background.... Say a fido-net mailer? since I have yet
to find one for Xenix (that works)?

timd@binary.UUCP (Tim Daniels @ Binary Systems) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Jan22.174347.5680@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> khioe@mona.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kent Hioe) writes:

>Hi, I need some information on how to create a deamon from the Xenix-OS.
>
>I would like to create a deamon that will execute a program at certain time
>every night. How can I do that ?
>
>ie, at 2:00 am I would like to execute data backup automatically.

How about using cron ? I use it to do backups all the time.