[comp.unix.xenix.sco] copy files from Xenix on DOS disk

tran@peora.sdc.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) (02/19/91)

   This question seems to be one the FAQ list but I ask anyway:

   Is there anyway to copy a Xenix file (text file) to Dos disk (floppy or
hard disk) other than resorting to communication programs.

   doscp works only from Dos to Xenix.

Nhan Tran

lee@gdc.portal.com (Seng-Poh Lee, Gen DataComm, +1 203 758-1811) (02/19/91)

In article <4613@peora.sdc.ccur.com>, tran@peora.sdc.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:
>    This question seems to be one the FAQ list but I ask anyway:
>
>    Is there anyway to copy a Xenix file (text file) to Dos disk (floppy or
> hard disk) other than resorting to communication programs.
>
>    doscp works only from Dos to Xenix.

Not so. doscp works both ways. To copy from Xenix to dos, you do;

doscp xenix_file C:/dos_file

If you want to copy to floppy, just replace C: with A:, etc.

Seng-Poh Lee				lee@gdc.portal.com
General DataComm Ind. Inc		..!uunet!portal!gdc!lee

glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen) (02/20/91)

In article <4613@peora.sdc.ccur.com> tran@peora.sdc.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:
>   Is there anyway to copy a Xenix file (text file) to Dos disk (floppy or
>hard disk) other than resorting to communication programs.
>   doscp works only from Dos to Xenix.

Yes, there is.  As distributed by SCO, doscp is configured for optimal
transfer from Dos to Xenix.  Here's why..

The file /etc/default/msdos contains a listing of "dos-style" drive-letters
and their Xenix device equivalents.  The "A" drive (A:) is configured
as /dev/install.  Since /dev/install is a device which automatically
detects source floppy density, you can automatically copy from low or
high density DOS disks to Xenix.  However, /dev/install does not auto-sense
on write, so you can't go backwards.

There are several methods of correcting this.  The easiest, but least
convenient, is to just specify the full device in the copy...

	doscp xenixfile /dev/fd096ds15/dossubdir/dosfile

for high density 1.2MB, or, for 360K's...

	doscp xenixfile /dev/fd048ds9/dossubdir/dosfile

A more convenient way would be to modify the /etc/default/msdos file to
specify "hard" devices instead of the /dev/install device.  Although this
will enable the doscp command with MS-DOS-style drive letters, it prevents
the automatic detection of density.  My workaraound for this is to set up
two drive letters for each floppy drive, like this...

	# /etc/default/msdos
	A=/dev/fd096ds15
	E=/dev/fd048ds9

So, to copy to/from high density dos floppies, you'd use A:, and, for
low-density floppies, you'd use E:.

Hope this helps!
--
**  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  **
Glen Barney 301-330-4700                The beach is not just a place

pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) (02/21/91)

In article <4613@peora.sdc.ccur.com> tran@peora.sdc.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) writes:

>   Is there anyway to copy a Xenix file (text file) to Dos disk (floppy or
>hard disk) other than resorting to communication programs.

Yes.  Use doscp.

>   doscp works only from Dos to Xenix.

Works for me...  I've created DOS files and mailed them to a MS-DOS
only friend (boo!  Hiss!)  several times.

I'm running Xenix 2.3.2, if that matters.

- Paul Colley
  pacolley@violet.waterloo.edu or .ca
  "Quantum Mechanics:  The dreams stuff is made of"    - Ken Burnside