[comp.unix.xenix.sco] 3.5" FD

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (02/26/91)

Sorry if this seems like excessive tenderfootedness. But I need some free
support. In return I give lots of enthusiastic appreciation :-) OK, here it
is: I recently plopped a new 3.5" floppy into our xenix machine as "drive
b:". My thought was to make an incremental improvement in doing backups. The
darned thing doesn't work under Xenix. It works OK when I boot under MS-DOS.
But I seem to be missing something such as /dev/fd1135ds9 and
/dev/fd1135ds18. I'm trying to beat the tar :-) out of my distribution
floppies to see if it's included there. If I find it I'll try to pull it
over by brute force. If I don't find it I guess I'm stuck. Anybody care to
comment on my situation and hint to me what might lay ont he road ahead?
Thanks in advance . . .

Travis Bissett

--
Travis Bissett             NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com       1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen) (02/26/91)

In article <9ooXX3w161w@nstar.rn.com>, tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
> But I seem to be missing something such as /dev/fd1135ds9 and
> /dev/fd1135ds18. I'm trying to beat the tar :-) out of my distribution
> floppies to see if it's included there.

It's not.  Those devices are not created if you install from 96tpi floppies,
which you did.  Login as root, and execute the following commands...

	/etc/mknod /dev/fd1135ds9 b 2 37
	/etc/mknod /dev/rfd1135ds9 c 2 37
	/etc/mknod /dev/fd1135ds18 b 2 61
	/etc/mknod /dev/rfd1135ds18 c 2 61

These will create all the necessary special files to allow you to access
your 3.5" second floppy.

Hope this helps!

--
**  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  **
Glen Barney 301-330-4700                The beach is not just a place

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (02/26/91)

In article <9ooXX3w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
>But I seem to be missing something such as /dev/fd1135ds9 and
>/dev/fd1135ds18. I'm trying to beat the tar :-) out of my distribution

Please see fd(HW), mknod(C), and mkdev(ADM).  Essentially the commands
to create the device nodes are:

	mknod /dev/fd1135ds9 b 2 37
	mknod /dev/fd1135ds18 b 2 61
	mknod /dev/rfd1135ds9 c 2 37
	mknod /dev/rfd1135ds18 c 2 61

The meaning of the minor device numbers is explained in fd(HW).

root@medsys.uucp (sysop) (02/27/91)

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:

>is: I recently plopped a new 3.5" floppy into our xenix machine as "drive
>b:". My thought was to make an incremental improvement in doing backups. The
>darned thing doesn't work under Xenix. It works OK when I boot under MS-DOS.
>But I seem to be missing something such as /dev/fd1135ds9 and
>/dev/fd1135ds18. I'm trying to beat the tar :-) out of my distribution
>floppies to see if it's included there. If I find it I'll try to pull it

Try this: fixperm -c -dFD135 /etc/perms/inst

Be sure to be in the root directory when you give this command.
--
             __   __|  __        __        LaVerne Olney -- Med-Systems
    |/^\/^\ /__) /  | (__  \  / (__     Medical Office Management Software
    |  |  | \__  \__| ___)  \/  ___)       Kingsport, TN  37660  U.S.A.
    Unix BBS: 615-288-3957  /               UUCP: uunet!medsys!laverne

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (02/27/91)

glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen) writes:

> It's not.  Those devices are not created if you install from 96tpi floppies,
> which you did.  Login as root, and execute the following commands...
>
> 	/etc/mknod /dev/fd1135ds9 b 2 37
> 	/etc/mknod /dev/rfd1135ds9 c 2 37
> 	/etc/mknod /dev/fd1135ds18 b 2 61
> 	/etc/mknod /dev/rfd1135ds18 c 2 61
>
> These will create all the necessary special files to allow you to access
> your 3.5" second floppy.
>
> Hope this helps!

Ha! Now you tell me! :-) Well, I'm sure it would have been useful info if
I'd read it before solving my problem another way. But, I've captured your
msg to file in my log 'cuz it gives me something even better than a fix -- a
path to true understanding. I sure have a LOT to learn about how Xenix/Unix
works! Thaks much :-)

Travis