[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Cron problems

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (02/13/91)

[note: posted for a friend. -- dan]

I am currently using an IBC XLA 80486 based system running SCO/IBC Xenix 2.3.2,
and am having problems with cron - it refuses to start each day's jobs
automatically. I am currently having to do an "at" command each morning to get
cron to recognize the fact that it has queued jobs, after which cron will
continue to work the rest of the day. If this is not done, no cron jobs will
be performed. Why? I've checked to make sure that the cron process itself is
still resident within the system, and it is, with a PID of 27. This indicates
to me that cron isn't dying and regenerating. I've also run a log on cron
activities, and there is nothing peculiar; all normal. How can I get cron to
work each day without giving it a kickstart?

Mike Duppong
ITC Information Systems
181 Blue Lakes Blvd. N.
Twin Falls, ID 83301
208-734-1300
--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/20/91)

In article <201798@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>[note: posted for a friend. -- dan]
>
>I am currently using an IBC XLA 80486 based system running SCO/IBC Xenix 2.3.2,
>and am having problems with cron - it refuses to start each day's jobs

This is a well known problem with SCO Xenix 2.X cron.  It tends to "go to
sleep" if no jobs are scheduled for long periods of time.  SCOs recommended
fix is to add a cron job that executes /bin/true once a minute.
I don't have the exact cron line handy; I assume your friend can figure that
out.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

alan@ahmcs.com (Alan Mintz) (02/22/91)

In article <973@pallas.athenanet.com>, kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:
> In article <201798@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
> >I am currently using an IBC XLA 80486 based system running SCO/IBC Xenix 2.3.2,
> >and am having problems with cron - it refuses to start each day's jobs
>
> This is a well known problem with SCO Xenix 2.X cron.  It tends to "go to
> sleep" if no jobs are scheduled for long periods of time.  SCOs recommended
> fix is to add a cron job that executes /bin/true once a minute.

This may be overkill. As I recall, once per hour is sufficient.
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034 >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995 >

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (02/24/91)

In article <973@pallas.athenanet.com> kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:
>In article <201798@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>>[note: posted for a friend. -- dan]
>>
>>I am currently using an IBC XLA 80486 based system running SCO/IBC Xenix 2.3.2,
>>and am having problems with cron - it refuses to start each day's jobs
>
>This is a well known problem with SCO Xenix 2.X cron.  It tends to "go to
>sleep" if no jobs are scheduled for long periods of time.  SCOs recommended
>fix is to add a cron job that executes /bin/true once a minute.
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Drastic overkill!
Once a day will probably suffice, and once every six hours will certainly
suffice.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (02/27/91)

In article <159@ahmcs.com> alan@ahmcs.com (Alan Mintz) writes:
>> This is a well known problem with SCO Xenix 2.X cron.  It tends to "go to
>> sleep" if no jobs are scheduled for long periods of time.  SCOs recommended
>> fix is to add a cron job that executes /bin/true once a minute.
>
>This may be overkill. As I recall, once per hour is sufficient.
>--

Your recall is better than mine was!  I just looked and you are correct,
once an hour is the recommendation.  I also forgot to mention that this
will make a fat cron log (if it is enabled).  And my original post would
make it REAL fat.  Thanks for the correction.

In article <1991Feb23.184255.26348@jpradley.jpr.com> jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>>fix is to add a cron job that executes /bin/true once a minute.
>
>Drastic overkill!
Alas, you are right, I was wrong.

>Once a day will probably suffice, and once every six hours will certainly
>suffice.

Actually with Xenix 386, 2.2.3, every 6 hours is not enough.  I have had
cron go to sleep with idle spans as short as 3 hours.
The recommendation from SCO is once an HOUR.

aryeh@eddie.mit.edu (Aryeh M. Weiss) (02/27/91)

In article <998@pallas.athenanet.com> kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:

>once an hour is the recommendation.  I also forgot to mention that this
>will make a fat cron log (if it is enabled).  And my original post would
>make it REAL fat.  Thanks for the correction.

If you don't want a cron log file, just delete it.  Cron does not create
the log file, just writes to it if it is there.

jmp@sfs.uucp (John Pearce) (02/28/91)

>Actually with Xenix 386, 2.2.3, every 6 hours is not enough.  I have had
>cron go to sleep with idle spans as short as 3 hours.
>The recommendation from SCO is once an HOUR.

I experienced this problem at about the time this thread started, and
execution of /bin/true from cron once an hour _seems_ to have solved my
crontabs problems.

However, both 'at' and 'batch' seem now to have gone to sleep.  Commands
deposited in either of them sit there until removed.

Is this a problem anyone has experienced, and is it related _directly_
to the cron question?  Does anyone have a fix?

I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.1.
John M. Pearce +++ Suncoast Fire and Safety Equipment, Inc. +++ Sarasota, FL
jmp@sfs               (813) 955-2202  Fax (813) 954-4213       uunet!sfs!jmp