[comp.unix.xenix.sco] TCP/IP & NFS for SCO XENIX

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (01/31/91)

I am looking for suggestions on TCP/IP and NFS (very important) packages
for SCO XENIX 386 (GT). I need to network several 386s running SCO XENIX
and Interactive UNIX to a SparcStation 1+ and a NeXT. It is easy to
network the SparcStation, NeXT, and Interactive UNIX 386 ... but XENIX is
a complete mystery to me. I don't have the option of upgrading to SCO
UNIX for the next little while.

Thanks in advance,

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (03/02/91)

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) writes:

> I am looking for suggestions on TCP/IP and NFS (very important) packages
> for SCO XENIX 386 (GT). I need to network several 386s running SCO XENIX
> and Interactive UNIX to a SparcStation 1+ and a NeXT. It is easy to
> network the SparcStation, NeXT, and Interactive UNIX 386 ... but XENIX is
> a complete mystery to me. I don't have the option of upgrading to SCO
> UNIX for the next little while.

I am under the strong impression that you can't get there from here, when
"here" is Xenix and "there" is NFS. My info is over a year old, but I was
told that I had to upgrade so many things such as BSD sockets that I ended
up with Unix -- i.e. I had to upgrade to SCO Unix in order to have NFS. I'm
currently using Recal/Interlan's NP621-386 TCP/IP package. My dealer may not
be the sharpest in this area, but my repeated inquiries in this subject have
not turned up anything to change the basic premises of what I jsut told you.
If you hear anything majorly different, I, too, would like to know :-)

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines