[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Dial-in and Dial-out on same line

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (01/30/91)

First of all, can I say a big "thanks" to those who replied to my "Beginner's
Questions" post here recently.

I've got another question now - a problem in trying to get a modem to support
both dial-in and dial-out.

The modem is a Dowty Quattro, which is an auto-baud 2400bps beast, with Hayes
command set.  The OS is Xenix System V 386 V2.3.2.

I have installed the modem as per RTFM.  The only difference is that since the
modem always uses 2400 baud regardless of the phone line speed, I have used a
fixed speed entry of 2400 in gettydefs.

If I disable /dev/tty1A and chown /dev/tty1A to uucp, I can use cu to dial out
quite happily.  Cu is even picking up the correct number from the Systems file.

However, when I enable tty1A, strange things happen.  Cu tries to work, but
when it connects, I get my own machine's login prompts all over the screen.
It seems that getty is not being disabled during the cu dial-out, and as soon
as DCD goes active, it tries to start a login on tty1A.  What is even more
strange is that when I exit from cu, something has changed the ownership of
/dev/tty1A back to root, which causes cu to fail next time round.

On further investigation, I see that before I start the cu, getty is running
with a terminal of "?".  As soon as cu starts, getty attaches itself to tty1A.
Cu is creating a lockfile, so I don't understand why getty suddenly becomes
active at exactly the time I would expect it to sleep.  The man page for getty
says that combined dial-in/dial-out will only work when uucp is installed.
What exactly does this mean - how does getty KNOW when uucp is installed ?

I'm probably doing something pretty silly, but I just can't see it.  Any help
or pointers would be gratefully accepted.

Regards
Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael (eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk)      "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                        couldn't possibly comment."

oli@odbffm.incom.de (Oliver Boehmer) (01/31/91)

To install a modem for both in-and out-dial use you have to assign the
/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty process to it, the you won't have to hassle with
enabling/disabling the port. Everythin si being taken care of. The only
problem that will occur is if you use another terminal program (like
pcomm). They don't create lock files so uucp thinks he line is still
enabled. but this only happens on some systems, not on mine.
uugetty checks if the device is available when attempting to dial out.
Hope I could help you, oli

Oliver Boehmer, Frankfurt, Germany    uucp:   oli@odbffm.incom.de
+49-69-331461 (voice) +49-60-308265 (12/2400)
If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.065819.28093@odbffm.incom.de> oli@odbffm.incom.de (Oliver Boehmer) writes:
>To install a modem for both in-and out-dial use you have to assign the
>/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty process to it

	$ ls -l /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty
	/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty not found

Sorry.
--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  If software look-and-feel can be protected,
Unicom Systems Development    |  then I'd like to claim a copyright upon

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (02/02/91)

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) writes:
> I've got another question now - a problem in trying to get a modem to support
> both dial-in and dial-out.

You need to use uugetty instead of getty.  Uugetty checks for a lock
file for the port in /usr/lib/uucp (or /usr/lib/locks, depending on
what version of UUCP you have), and will ignore things happening on
the port if the port is locked.  Cu and friends lock the port when
they allow you to use it, so everything works fine.

Uugetty is in /usr/lib/uucp.  Just replace "/etc/getty" with
"/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty" in your /etc/inittab file, "telinit q", and it
should be fixed.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

I wrote:
> file for the port in /usr/lib/uucp (or /usr/lib/locks, depending on

Oops.  As most of us know (including myself, most of the time), those
paths should be /usr/spool/uucp and /usr/spool/locks.

--

oli@odbffm.incom.de (Oliver Boehmer) (02/04/91)

In <1826@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

>In article <1991Jan31.065819.28093@odbffm.incom.de> oli@odbffm.incom.de (Oliver Boehmer) writes:
>>To install a modem for both in-and out-dial use you have to assign the
>>/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty process to it

>	$ ls -l /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty
>	/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty not found

>Sorry.

oops, oh well, then you have to do another trick, this involves enabling
and disabling the port whenever you need it to dial out.
Look, if init supports different run-levels than 12345, mine does support
alphanumeric run-levels. Anyway. Set up the inittab-line for your tty like
that:
xxxx:2:respawn:/etc/getty....

The xxxx is the name, you know. This means that getty is only running in
init-state 2. To disable this modem for dial-out use, all you have to do is
change to init-state 3. The port will be disabled. This is a dirty trick,
since only the super-user can switch run-levels, but what the hack..
You can enter the init-command in root's crontab an enable dial-out time
for specified periods only...
Watch out that all the other fields in /etc/inittab include run-level 3.
Hope I could help you...
bye, oli

Oliver Boehmer, Frankfurt, Germany           oli@odbffm.incom.de
+49-69-331461 (voice) +49-60-308265 (1200/2400)
If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?

bill@twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (02/04/91)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

:Uugetty is in /usr/lib/uucp.  Just replace "/etc/getty" with
:"/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty" in your /etc/inittab file, "telinit q", and it
:should be fixed.

I thought the name of this group was comp.unix.XENIX.sco.  There
is no such thing as uugetty or /etc/inittab in SCO Xenix 2.3.2.
I believe the etc/getty program supplied works the same way as
uugetty on a UNIX system.

:Marc Unangst               |
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     Your Computer

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (02/28/91)

In article <1826@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <1991Jan31.065819.28093@odbffm.incom.de> oli@odbffm.incom.de (Oliver Boehmer) writes:
>>To install a modem for both in-and out-dial use you have to assign the
>>/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty process to it
>
>	$ ls -l /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty
>	/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty not found
>
>Sorry.
>--
>Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  If software look-and-feel can be protected,

XENIX in its various flavors, versions and incantations has more kinds
of UUCP than Carter has little pills.  I have forgotten the details,
but starting with XENIX 2.2.? or 2.3.1, SCO began shipping HDB UUCP.
Somewhere in there, uugetty became a "compatibility only" program, with
getty supporting in/out and lock files with no further requirement.

A XENIX without uugetty sounds like XENIX System III or some earlier
product with Version 2 UUCP.  I thought uugetty had been around for
a long time (I saw it in SCO 2.0.6, I foggily remember). This certainly is
a lot of uninformed babble when I am only sure of my first sentence :-).

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare   gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Many [Nobel physics] prizes  have been given  to people for  telling us
the universe is not as simple as we thought it was. -Stephen Hawking in
A Brief History of Time     In computing, there are no such prizes. -me

macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) (03/07/91)

In article <340@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US>
wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) wrote:

| In article <1826@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
| >In article <1991Jan31.065819.28093@odbffm.incom.de> oli@odbffm.incom.de (Oliver Boehmer) writes:
| >>To install a modem for both in-and out-dial use you have to assign the
| >>/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty process to it
| >	$ ls -l /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty
| >	/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty not found
| >Sorry.
|
| A XENIX without uugetty sounds like XENIX System III or some earlier
| product with Version 2 UUCP.  I thought uugetty had been around for
| a long time (I saw it in SCO 2.0.6, I foggily remember).

Well, I've had a look at the 2.3.1, 2.3.2 and the 2.3.3 SCO X releases.
There's no uugetty around...

The first system of SCO having the uugetty is SCO UNIX 3.2.0.
(Perhaps the friendly sysop added the uugetty to the system mentioned
 above?)

Anyway... The getty of SCO X should do both in and out dialing.
The only problem I know is when using the International Supplement
for SCO X the getty gets kinda broken.
(The original getty of the OS is overwritten by the one from the IS :(
 and the "new" one isn't able to handle in _and_ out dials...)

But this problem should not occur outta Europe.
(Who else has to use the IS???
 Ever heard of "funny umlauts"? <sigh>)

--
Uwe Obst             # {connor|macleod}@cmllab.rgb.sub.org
(aka Connor MacLeod) # "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (03/08/91)

macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:

>Well, I've had a look at the 2.3.1, 2.3.2 and the 2.3.3 SCO X releases.
>There's no uugetty around...

	While SCO included their implementation of HDB UUCP beginning with
version 2.3, it did *not* include a uugetty. Instead, they included a getty
program with the essential functionality of uugetty. (I use it on my home
box with but one modem, so I know it works.)

>The first system of SCO having the uugetty is SCO UNIX 3.2.0.

	True. If one tried to use getty, as had been done under Xenix, it
wouldn't work.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech