[comp.unix.xenix.sco] cores in /usr/spool/uucp

bill@twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (03/10/91)

root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:

} I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an AMI 25 mhz 386 with 4 megs of ram
} and a 210 meg hard drive.  Every day when the uucp cleanup daemon cleans
} the uucp files it reports that I have "cores in /usr/spool/uucp".  Every
} day I remove the core file.  (It is so bad that I have wondered if I
} should make it a cron job)!  Has anybody else had this problem?  If so,
} how do you fix it.

Mine used to too.  There is an SLS available from SCO that fixes
this.  I can't recall the SLS number off hand, but if you check
the list that is posted regularly you will see one that mentions
UUCP (the SLS 155 seems to stick in my mind).  I think it is the
SLS that also updates the kernel from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3.

} Jeff Anderson                                        jaa@rsch.oclc.org
} H: 614-252-7563                                sporty!jeff@ursa-major.spdcc.com
} W: 614-764-6222                             ...!osu-cis!n8emr!uncle!sporty!jeff
} -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     Your Computer

sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) (03/12/91)

In article <289@sporty.UUCP> jeff@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:
>I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an AMI 25 mhz 386 with 4 megs of ram
>and a 210 meg hard drive.  Every day when the uucp cleanup daemon cleans
>the uucp files it reports that I have "cores in /usr/spool/uucp".  Every
>day I remove the core file.  (It is so bad that I have wondered if I
>should make it a cron job)!  Has anybody else had this problem?  If so,
>how do you fix it.

You don't, it's just an error in the uucico program SCO shipped with
Xenix. There's a mention in the release notes about it, but it's
nothing to worry about. I put up with it for more than a year with no
ill effects.

--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430

alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) (03/12/91)

In article <289@sporty.UUCP>, root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:
> I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an AMI 25 mhz 386 with 4 megs of ram
> and a 210 meg hard drive.  Every day when the uucp cleanup daemon cleans
> the uucp files it reports that I have "cores in /usr/spool/uucp".  Every

uusched leaves these lying around when it terminates. This is not
an indication of anything wrong (according to SCO), just a normal occurence.
I believe this was fixed by SLS xnx129b (along with some other annoyances).
SLS xnx155b (the UFM Maintenance Supplement) includes this fix as well as many
others (highly recommended).
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034 >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995 >

paulz@sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) (03/14/91)

In article <289@sporty.UUCP> jeff@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:
}I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an AMI 25 mhz 386 with 4 megs of ram
}and a 210 meg hard drive.  Every day when the uucp cleanup daemon cleans
}the uucp files it reports that I have "cores in /usr/spool/uucp".
[deleted]

If you install SLS xnx155, this problem should go away.  I strongly
recommend that anyone using SCO Xenix version 2.3.1 or 2.3.2 should
install xnx155 to update their system.  This SLS resolves a number
of problems with the earlier releases of SCO Xenix, some of which
can be quite serious.

Note that this SLS is available for free (to unsupported as well as
supported customers) via anonymous UUCP to sosco, and via anonymous
ftp to ftp.uu.net.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz@sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar11.193658.28462@utoday.com> sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) writes:
>In article <289@sporty.UUCP> jeff@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:
>>I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an AMI 25 mhz 386 with 4 megs of ram
>>and a 210 meg hard drive.  Every day when the uucp cleanup daemon cleans
>>the uucp files it reports that I have "cores in /usr/spool/uucp".  Every
>>day I remove the core file.  (It is so bad that I have wondered if I
>>should make it a cron job)!  Has anybody else had this problem?  If so,
>>how do you fix it.
>>
>You don't, it's just an error in the uucico program SCO shipped with
>Xenix. There's a mention in the release notes about it, but it's
>nothing to worry about. I put up with it for more than a year with no
>ill effects.

Furthermore, the uudemon.clean script, which runs whenver your crontab says to
run it, will clean out core file from the spool directory without your
bothering to do it manually.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341