[comp.unix.xenix.sco] problem compiling X11R4 on Xenix 386 2.3.2

lshih@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Lieh-Wen Shih) (03/15/91)

I was building X11R4 and didn't go anywhere.  I'm new to X, so please
help me with this "starter" question.  When I make World, I got the
following message:

		cd ./config; make -f Makefile.ini clean; make -f Makefile.ini
			BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=""
		rm -f ccimake imake
		rm -f *.CKP *.ln *.BAK *.bak *.o core errs ,* *~ *.a  tags
			TAGS make.log \#*
	making imake with BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=
		gcc -o ccimake  -O ccimake.c
		gcc -o imake  -O imake.c `/usr/local/X11R4/mit/config/ccimake`
		mv Makefile Makefile.bak
		make -f Makefile.bak Makefile
		./config/imake -I./config  -DTOPDIR=.  -DCURDIR=.
	4: Can't find include file Imake.tmpl
	./config/imake: Signal 1.  Stop.
	*** Error code 1
	Stop.
	*** Error code 1
	Stop.

At first, `./ccimake` didn't even work so I changed it to absolute
path and imake seemed to be compiled OK.  Then,....
Imake.tmpl is definitely in mit/config, but make just couldn't see it!
Does anybody have this problem or met it before?  Speak frankly, I just
don't understand how imake works.  I checked the Makefile in mit dir.,
it's generated for sony.cf (that's what I got from expo).  Could anybody
tell me what should I do?  Any help would be very appreciated!

OH, my OS is Xenix 386 2.3.2, Dev. Sys. is 2.3.1, I use GCC 1.37.1.
BTW, someone told me that Thomas Roell and some other persons are working
on a Xenix server, is that true?

Levin
lshih@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

goer@ellis.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (03/15/91)

In article <3791@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> lshih@gmuvax2.UUCP (Lieh-Wen Shih) writes:

>I was building X11R4 [under Xenix] and didn't go anywhere...

Join the club :-).

>OH, my OS is Xenix 386 2.3.2, Dev. Sys. is 2.3.1, I use GCC 1.37.1.
>BTW, someone told me that Thomas Roell and some other persons are working
>on a Xenix server, is that true?

Okay, Chain Lee recently posted a set of patches to get X11R4 up under
Xenix.  I believe, though, that the package requires a set of BSD-type
socket-emulation drivers that don't come with the patches.  This info
might be old, though, so don't quote me on it.

Some time ago, I sent mail asking whether Xenix support might be included
for Roell's server.  The answer I got (not from Roell himself) was that
this was quite unlikely.

As you can see, my information is very, very sketchy.  My main reason for
posting is just to offer you what little I have heard, and to ask that
you re-post if you get any really solid information.

-Richard (goer@sophist.uchicago.edu)

n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) (03/16/91)

As soon as everything settles down around here, I'll look for an
archive site to put the binaries on, and announce when they are
available.  It took me three solid days to get X compiled and working,
if you don't count my recent recompile, and there is little sense in
everyone else going through the same ordeal.

Note that I will have to leave out the server proper since that is
Chain Lee's, but I will include the info on how to get the server
sources.  I'll post a notice sometime before this summer when I get
the stuff uploaded somewhere.

Kevin L. Weller                                 /-------+--------------------\
internet: n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu                |  aTm  |  GIG 'EM, AGGIES!  |
CIS:      73327,1447  (but I rarely log on)     \-------+--------------------/
%SYS-E-BADOPSYS, Fatal system error, DEC VMS halting  / "And now for something
-SYS-I-GETUNIX, Replace with UNIX immediately!       /  completely different."

I wrote:

>   Note that I will have to leave out the server proper since that is
>   Chain Lee's, but I will include the info on how to get the server
>   sources.

Whoops!  I meant the socket emulation driver won't be included; the
server itself should be.  Sorry!