[comp.unix.xenix.sco] WANTED: GCC binaries for Xenix/286

rcf@bisco.kodak.com (Bob Fagioli) (03/19/91)

I am using SCO Xenix for the 80286 processor. The version
is 2.3.2. I do not have the Development System and will not
purchase it because of the very low budget I am on. I have
anonymous ftp access. It appears to me that unix.oakland only
has SCO Xenix/386 binaries of GCC. So my questions are:

1) Does anyone know where I can get GCC binaries (via ftp)
for SCO Xenix/286 version 2.3.2 ??

or

2) Can I use the 386 binaries from unix.oakland on my
SCO Xenix/286 2.3.2 machine ?? (I think not..)

== Thanks in Advance ==

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.180423.4195@ssd.kodak.com> rcf@bisco.kodak.com (Bob Fagioli) writes:

>1) Does anyone know where I can get GCC binaries (via ftp)
>for SCO Xenix/286 version 2.3.2 ??

Even if GCC was compiled using a compiler with a 286 target, the GCC
target is a 386.  So, you probably couldn't run the programs generated
by it anyway.

>2) Can I use the 386 binaries from unix.oakland on my
>SCO Xenix/286 2.3.2 machine ?? (I think not..)

The 386 binaries on unix.oakland.edu were compiled targeted for a 386.
They won't run (as far as I know) on a 286.  Even if they did, the
response to your first question throws cold water on the idea.

It would be possible to write a GCC definition for the '286, but one does
not exist now.  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@vela.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@vela.UUCP             |