[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Print Screen advice, anyone???

dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) (03/16/91)

I have asked this question at least twice now, with no response.
If anyone knows the answer, I would be forever indebted to them, etc.

What I would like to have is something like the DOS print screen,
for the Xenix console.  Sounds pretty simple, but no one seems to know.

Thanks.
Dave Smith

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (03/18/91)

dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:

>I have asked this question at least twice now, with no response.
>If anyone knows the answer, I would be forever indebted to them, etc.
>
>What I would like to have is something like the DOS print screen,
>for the Xenix console.  Sounds pretty simple, but no one seems to know.

I don't know if it's the right answer to what Dave's asking, but my
favorite answer is "Use MultiView".  While it won't print graphics (I'm
not aware of anything that will, under XENIX), it does include a printscreen
capability on any serial terminal on XENIX.  And provides windowing, too.
Not bad if you're not on the console!
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (03/19/91)

In article <568@genco.bungi.com> dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:
>I have asked this question at least twice now, with no response.
>If anyone knows the answer, I would be forever indebted to them, etc.
>What I would like to have is something like the DOS print screen,
>for the Xenix console.  Sounds pretty simple, but no one seems to know.

This may be of general interest.....

:
# capture
# execute from cu as ~!capture
oldstty=`stty -g`		# save stty settings.
stty -echo ixon ixoff -ixany	# turn off echo.
/bin/echo '\033[2i'		# ansi goto top of screen.
head -24 > capture.$$ 		# belch 24 lines to file.
stty $oldstty			# restore stty settings.

:
# prtscrn
# execute from cu as ~!prtscr
oldstty=`stty -g`		# save stty settings.
stty -echo ixon ixoff -ixany	# turn off echo.
/bin/echo '\033[2i'		# ansi goto top of screen.
head -24 | lp 			# belch 24 lines to spooler.
stty $oldstty			# restore stty settings.

One problem is that it saves every character and space on the screen
resulting in exactly 1944 (81x24) characters.  These should be trimmed
with sed or double spaced printing may result from automatic LF for
full 80 char lines.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave     Ben Lomond    CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager  wb6ssy  CIS:73557,2074

paulz@sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) (03/20/91)

}
}What I would like to have is something like the DOS print screen,
}for the Xenix console.  Sounds pretty simple, but no one seems to know.
}
}Thanks.
}Dave Smith

The following article from the SCO Information Tools database should help
with your problem.   I'm posting because I think this may be of general
interest.

################## cut here ################ cut here ##################

Does SCO XENIX support a console 'printscreen' capability?

KEYWORDS: screen print dump console xenix 2.2 dumpscreen printscreen

RELEASE:   SCO XENIX System V Operating System Generic

PROBLEM:   Does SCO XENIX support a console 'printscreen' capability?
	   Also, how can I get a dump of the console screen?

SOLUTION:  Yes, SCO XENIX System V Operating System does support a console
	   'printscreen' capability which allows a console screen dump. This
	   capability was introduced in SCO XENIX Operating System Release 2.2.
	   This function is not accessed with the 'PrtSc' key as it is under
	   MS-DOS.  Instead, it uses an escape sequence that causes the screen
	   driver to take the contents of the console screen as input.

           Below is a program that uses this escape sequence to take the input
	   from the screen driver and redirect it to the standard output. The
	   program file should look like the following:

		:
		#       Bourne shell script to write the screen
		#       to standard output.
		#
		#       scr_dump > file
		#       scr_dump | lp
		#
		#       are good examples of how to use this.

		S=`stty -g`
		stty -echo ixon
		/bin/echo '\033[2i' 1>&2
		cat - | head -24
		stty $S

		# ----------end of file-------------

           If the file were named "scr_dump," then to print the console
	   screen the following command would be issued:

		scr_dump | lp

	   The following command can be given to capture the console
	   screen to a file:

		scr_dump > file

I hope this helps you with your problem.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz@sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.