[comp.unix.xenix.sco] MS-Windows 3.0 under Xenix and Unix

drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) (03/08/91)

I am trying to install Microsoft Windows 3.0 under two different envi-
ronments, namely

1) SCO Xenix System V/386 2.3.2 with VP/ix 1.01;
2) Open Desktop 1.0 (SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 with DOS Merge).

Up to date, I have had very little success. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. As I don't yet receive sco.opendesktop, please
post your replies to comp.unix.xenix.sco or mail them to my
Internet address. Thanks a lot.
--
Jean-Jacques Drolet            |    Snail: 2631 boul. Liegeois, Sainte-Foy
National Optics Institute      |           Quebec, Canada, G1W 1Z5

wul@sco.COM (Wu Liu) (03/11/91)

/--drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) said...
| I am trying to install Microsoft Windows 3.0 under two different envi-
| ronments, namely
|
| 1) SCO Xenix System V/386 2.3.2 with VP/ix 1.01;
| 2) Open Desktop 1.0 (SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 with DOS Merge).
|
| Up to date, I have had very little success. Any help would be
| greatly appreciated. As I don't yet receive sco.opendesktop, please
| post your replies to comp.unix.xenix.sco or mail them to my
| Internet address. Thanks a lot.
\--

Windows 3.0 does not work, even when run in real mode, under Open
Desktop 1.0.  It does work under the version of Merge included
with Open Desktop 1.1.  I'm not familiar with VP/ix myself; I know
that there was work done to it to support Windows 3.0, but I'm not
sure which release that is.  Now, if Windows 3.0 had been a well-
behaved DOS app... :-)

karl@robot.in-berlin.de (Karl-P. Huestegge) (03/14/91)

drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) writes:

>I am trying to install Microsoft Windows 3.0 under two different envi-
>ronments, namely

>1) SCO Xenix System V/386 2.3.2 with VP/ix 1.01;
>2) Open Desktop 1.0 (SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 with DOS Merge).

>Up to date, I have had very little success.

Quite difficult, because windows tries to get into protected mode.
I thought it wasn't possible at all, but..  (surprise,surprise).

SCO has a Support Diskette called 'unx268'.

It's for SCO UNIX 3.2 and SCO VP/ix 1.2.
Excerpt from the enclosed letter:

The enclosed Support Level Supplement (SLS) unx268 supplies support for
the Microsoft Windows 3.0 product running under SCO VP/ix 1.2 on the SCO
UNIX Operating System Release 3.2. This will replace the locore.o file in
the /etc/conf/pack.d/kernel directory. It will also rebuild and relink the
kernel. This must be installed in system maintenance mode. This will only
install on a SCO Unix Operating System release 3.2.0 or greater running the
SCO VP/ix release 1.2.0. This will not install on SCO MPX or the SCO 286 or
386 Xenix Operating System.

It's available per uucp from sosco.

--
Karl-Peter Huestegge                               karl@robot.in-berlin.de
Berlin Friedenau                           (..unido!fub!geminix!robot!karl)

daveh@marob.uucp (Dave Hammond) (03/14/91)

In article <9103091053.aa28114@xenitec.on.ca>  writes:
>I am trying to install Microsoft Windows 3.0 under two different envi-
>ronments, namely
>
>1) SCO Xenix System V/386 2.3.2 with VP/ix 1.01;
>2) Open Desktop 1.0 (SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 with DOS Merge).

According to SCO support, MS-Windows 3.0 can not work under VP/IX since
it requires 286 or 386 protected mode and VP/IX provides only virtual
8086 emulation.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.uucp

drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) (03/18/91)

In <27DE7604.38C7@marob.uucp> daveh@marob.uucp (Dave Hammond) writes:

>In article <9103091053.aa28114@xenitec.on.ca>  writes:
>>I am trying to install Microsoft Windows 3.0 under two different envi-
>>ronments, namely
>>
>>1) SCO Xenix System V/386 2.3.2 with VP/ix 1.01;
>>2) Open Desktop 1.0 (SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 with DOS Merge).

>According to SCO support, MS-Windows 3.0 can not work under VP/IX since
>it requires 286 or 386 protected mode and VP/IX provides only virtual
>8086 emulation.

That's true. Out of the box, Windows 3.0 can't run under VP/ix. However,
if you patch the code that determines on which processor Windows is
running so that Windows believes it is running on a 8086, you can
run Windows under both VP/ix and DOS Merge (SCO Open Desktop). I have
the patch here; anybody interested can write to me. If there is sufficient
interest, I will post it.

paulz@sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) (03/23/91)

In article <27DE7604.38C7@marob.uucp> daveh@marob.uucp (Dave Hammond) writes:
}In article <9103091053.aa28114@xenitec.on.ca>  writes:
}>I am trying to install Microsoft Windows 3.0 under two different envi-
}>ronments, namely
}>
}
}According to SCO support, MS-Windows 3.0 can not work under VP/IX since
}it requires 286 or 386 protected mode and VP/IX provides only virtual
}8086 emulation.
}
}--
}Dave Hammond
}daveh@marob.uucp
}uunet!rutgers!phri!marob!daveh

This is not correct.  Microsoft Windows 3.0 will run *in real mode
only* on SCO UNIX if you:  (1) are running SCO VP/ix 1.2.0 and (2)
have installed Support Level Supplement (SLS) unx268.  SLS unx268
won't install on SCO MPX or on the SCO 286 or 386 XENIX Operating
Systems.

MS-Windows 3.0 won't run _in protected mode_ under VP/ix, in much
the same manner as it won't run in protected mode on a 8086-based
machine.  SLS unx268 simply makes sure that Windows "thinks" its
installing on an 8086-based machine, and Windows takes care of the
rest.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz@sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.