[comp.unix.xenix.sco] wierd things of Xenix 386, help!

lshih@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Lieh-Wen Shih) (03/23/91)

Can anybody out there help with wierd problem about Xenix: after I
built GNU make, did some 'doscp' and 'dosdir', my system became very
wierd (at least to me!) as follows:

	'ps' got a msg of "/dev/kmem can't open",
	'df' got "/dev/root can't open",
	'mkdir' got "can't create directory xxx", and
	'rmdir' got "xxx not removed".

Does anyone know what went wrong? and how to fix?  Any help is appreciated.

levin

dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) (03/24/91)

In article <3874@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> lshih@gmuvax2.UUCP (Lieh-Wen Shih) writes:
>Can anybody out there help with wierd problem about Xenix: after I
>built GNU make, did some 'doscp' and 'dosdir', my system became very
>wierd (at least to me!) as follows:
>
>	'ps' got a msg of "/dev/kmem can't open",
>	'df' got "/dev/root can't open",
>	'mkdir' got "can't create directory xxx", and
>	'rmdir' got "xxx not removed".
>
>Does anyone know what went wrong? and how to fix?  Any help is appreciated.
>
>levin

It sounds as if you may have run out of inodes (too many files).
There are a number of other possibilities, such as too many files
open, etc.

Do a 'df -i' to get inodes used.
Do a 'df -v' for verbose disk free information (after rebooting, of course).

Also, be careful about overfilling your drive.  It has happened to
me on 2 occasions, and you would not believe the consequences - the
entire partition was for all practical purposes destroyed.

Good luck,
Dave Smith