[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Modem problem with Xenix 2.3.3

dhmadsen@icaen.uiowa.edu (Donald H Madsen) (03/24/91)

I am using Xenix386 2.3.3 and VP/ix 1.2 and after much searching have
discovered that at random times DCD goes slowly low and makes it
impossible to continue communication.  This happens when using C-Kermit
and while using the DOS program Mirror III.  It only happens infrequently,
but when transferring long files it does happen.

It is frustrating after most of a long file has transferred to have it
stop.  If an attempt to leave the DOS communication program is made, it
hangs the terminal before completing the exit of VP/ix and the system
must be rebooted.

It seems likely that the problem is withing the serial driver.  It happens
whether I use the com1 port directly or when I use one of the 8 ports or
a non-intelligent version of a DigiBoard (PC/8).

The symtoms include line 8 (DCD) suddenly going low and line 20 RTS staying
high.  It happens with a 2400 Baud modem and with a 9600 Baud modem.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (03/25/91)

In article <5025@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> dhmadsen@icaen.uiowa.edu (Donald H Madsen) writes:
>I am using Xenix386 2.3.3 and VP/ix 1.2 and after much searching have
>discovered that at random times DCD goes slowly low and makes it
>impossible to continue communication.
>
> [some stuff deleted]
>
>It seems likely that the problem is withing the serial driver.
>
>The symtoms include line 8 (DCD) suddenly going low and line 20 RTS staying
>high.  It happens with a 2400 Baud modem and with a 9600 Baud modem.

I wonder how an RS232 signal goes "slowly" low??

DCD is controlled by the modem, not the computer.  The modem should
be configured to have DCD on while it has a connection, and turn it
off when the connection is broken.

It sounds like you're simply losing the connection through the phone
line.  Not something I would blame the serial driver for, unless it
is turning DTR off for a moment.

(By the way, pin 20 is DTR, not RTS.  RTS is pin 4.)

--
|  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |