[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Xenix-net VTP for DOS, does it EVER WORK?

danielw@wyn386.mi.org (Daniel Wynalda) (04/03/91)

Does anyone out there currently use Xenix-net and have a DOS machine
tied in?  I can get xnreset, xnstatus and xnftp to work, but have been
yet to get vtp.exe to run on DOS and talk to a Xenix machine.  It apparently
is looking for a NET.EXE program and that didn't come in the set of
DOS executables.  'net' came with the Xenix version of Xenix net.  The
docs are not clear as to where I should get this program.

The Xenix-net manual gives some mention to MS-NET and IBM PC-Net running
Xenix-Net.  Do most people use another network rather than Ethernet
cards when talking on Xenix-Net?  I have Excelan's LAN workplace for
Xenix and for DOS running and Xenix-Net from Xenix to Xenix works great.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

		Daniel Wynalda

--
Daniel Wynalda       | (616) 866-1561 X22 Ham:N8KUD Net:danielw@wyn386.mi.org
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | 8221 Graphic Industrial Pk. | Rockford, MI  49341

george@logitek.co.uk (George Harvey) (04/06/91)

In article <864@wyn386.mi.org> danielw@wyn386.mi.org (Daniel Wynalda) writes:
>Does anyone out there currently use Xenix-net and have a DOS machine
>tied in?  I can get xnreset, xnstatus and xnftp to work, but have been
>yet to get vtp.exe to run on DOS and talk to a Xenix machine.  It apparently
>is looking for a NET.EXE program and that didn't come in the set of
>DOS executables.  'net' came with the Xenix version of Xenix net.  The
>docs are not clear as to where I should get this program.
>
>The Xenix-net manual gives some mention to MS-NET and IBM PC-Net running
>Xenix-Net.  Do most people use another network rather than Ethernet
>cards when talking on Xenix-Net?  I have Excelan's LAN workplace for
>Xenix and for DOS running and Xenix-Net from Xenix to Xenix works great.

I have successfully used VTP on a PC running 3Com's 3Plus
workstation software to talk to Xenix-Net on a Xenix-286 system.
The installation was done some time ago so I'm afraid I can't
remember all the details but I don't recall having any particular
problems with VTP. I did have to get 3Com's version of NET.EXE
(it was on one of the supplemental disks) if I wanted to use the
Xenix system as a file server but I don't think it was necessary for
VTP.

My understanding is that VTP is a pure NetBios application so as long
as your network supports NetBios it should work.

George Harvey
email: george@logitek.co.uk

Standard disclaimer - all opinions are my own.

| The Answer to Life, the Universe, Everything ?   Mmmmm.. Tricky.    |
|                                                        Deep Thought |