[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Stopping unwanted news

root@pcgbase.UUCP (Super user) (03/26/91)

I am currently getting a news feed on a 386 running Sco Xenix 2.3.3.

My question is can I expand my sys file entry at uunet and control
which groups I want to receive at my site? I do not want to cause any
problems or unnecessary trafic for uunet.

In other words can groups be turned on at uunet and turned on and off
at my machine by changing the sys file here?

I would also like to stop unwanted traffic from coming into my machine
and costing me money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Phillips Consulting Group, Inc.| "The fewer the facts, the stronger
P.O. Box 903                   |  the opinion"

glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen) (03/26/91)

In article <1397@pcgbase.UUCP>, root@pcgbase.UUCP (Super user) writes:
> My question is can I expand my sys file entry at uunet and control
> which groups I want to receive at my site?

No.  Only the sys file at UUNET (or your news feed) controls what is
sent to your site.  In order to receive a newsgroup, it must be in your
feed's (UUNET's) sysfile, and created in your (local) active file.  But,
removing it from your local active file won't prevent it from being sent
to you, it will just be rerouted to the group "junk".

> In other words can groups be turned on at uunet and turned on and off
> at my machine by changing the sys file here?

Changing the sysfile on your local machine only controls what groups your
local site transmits to other sites; not what you receive.

> I would also like to stop unwanted traffic from coming into my machine
> and costing me money.

I can definitely relate to this!  Keeping costs down on my machine has been
a priority, too.  The best way to do this is to just specify specific groups
that you want, and don't take anything else.  Also, keep an eye on your log
and error log files (in B-News from SCO its /usr/lib/news/errlog and
/usr/lib/news/log) to make sure that UUNET isn't sending stuff you don't
want.

Good luck!
--
**  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  **
Glen Barney 301-258-5338               It'll take time, but we're going far,

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/08/91)

In article <1397@pcgbase.UUCP> root@pcgbase.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>I am currently getting a news feed on a 386 running Sco Xenix 2.3.3.
>
>My question is can I expand my sys file entry at uunet and control
>which groups I want to receive at my site? I do not want to cause any
>problems or unnecessary trafic for uunet.
>
>In other words can groups be turned on at uunet and turned on and off
>at my machine by changing the sys file here?
>
>I would also like to stop unwanted traffic from coming into my machine
>and costing me money.

The sys file on uunet governs what is sent to you.  When news comes in
that is not in your sys file, it will be put in junk.  So you would not
save any money on download fees.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

In article <9104071507.10@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>In article <1397@pcgbase.UUCP> root@pcgbase.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>>I am currently getting a news feed on a 386 running Sco Xenix 2.3.3.
>>
>>My question is can I expand my sys file entry at uunet and control
>>which groups I want to receive at my site? I do not want to cause any
>>problems or unnecessary trafic for uunet.
>>
>>In other words can groups be turned on at uunet and turned on and off
>>at my machine by changing the sys file here?
>>
>>I would also like to stop unwanted traffic from coming into my machine
>>and costing me money.
>

>The sys file on uunet governs what is sent to you.  When news comes in
>that is not in your sys file, it will be put in junk.  So you would not
>save any money on download fees.

Correction.  That should be that the active file on your system contains
the groups that are valid.  If it's not in your active file it will be
junked.  The ME: line in your sys file contains the hierarchies that you
accept.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP