[comp.unix.xenix.sco] UUCP Protocol Problems between AT&T Unix and SCO Xenix

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (03/31/91)

In article <192@mnopltd.UUCP> emory!mnopltd!neal writes:

>Lets not start any Xenophobic wars over this.
	Fair enough...
>Our System is Xenix 2.3.2. (the HDB version)  It converses with dozens
>of other Unix and Xenix systems.
>
>We are trying to connect System X as a leaf node.  It is running an
>AT&T 386 running AT&T Unix 3.2.2.   They do not as of yet converse with
>anybody.   After doing all the configurational poop, we find that
>sessions fail in both directions.
>
>If Xenix calls AT&T Unix, we go through the login, startup, but fail to
>establish the 'g' protocol.  The sequence of log stuff is:
      [stuff deleted from the Uutry log]

>Sounds like we have a protocol incompatibility between the two, and I don't see
>anything left for me to adjust.   Anyone seen it and/or a correction to either
>uucp to fix?

I have seen this quite a few times, especially with MNP Modems.  Make sure
that your Devices and Dialers files are correct - in every case, that is
where the changes are made to correct the above mentioned trouble.

It seems that the script that AT&T put in for their own 2224CEO gives you
only *one* choice, yet the modem/BNU can be optioned for about six different
modes (e,g,u).  Hack away at those two files.  One symptom is that 'cu'
works fine both in/out, and that you can send files but not receive (on
about 50% of the cases.)

|  Carlo Milono:  cmilono@netcom.apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,  |
|that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."   - Jonathan Swift   |

clay@uci.com (Clayton Haapala) (04/01/91)

I had similar problems doing uucp to an NCR Tower.  I believe that getting
the SLS that had upgraded UUCP binaries fixed the problem.  I also applied
patches changing the sliding window size from 3 to 7, as indicated in the
release notes (all this assuming XENIX 386).  I have no transfer problems
at this time.
--
Clayton Haapala                (clay@uci.com)
Unified Communications Inc.    "Every morning I get in the Queue.

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/13/91)

->In article <192@mnopltd.UUCP> emory!mnopltd!neal writes:
->>
->>Lets not start any Xenophobic wars over this.
->	Fair enough...
->>Our System is Xenix 2.3.2. (the HDB version)  It converses with dozens
->>of other Unix and Xenix systems.
->>
->>We are trying to connect System X as a leaf node.  It is running an
->>AT&T 386 running AT&T Unix 3.2.2.   They do not as of yet converse with
->>anybody.   After doing all the configurational poop, we find that
->>sessions fail in both directions.
->>
->>If Xenix calls AT&T Unix, we go through the login, startup, but fail to
->>establish the 'g' protocol.  The sequence of log stuff is:
->      [stuff deleted from the Uutry log]
->
->>Sounds like we have a protocol incompatibility between the two, and I don't see
->>anything left for me to adjust.   Anyone seen it and/or a correction to either
->>uucp to fix?
->
->I have seen this quite a few times, especially with MNP Modems.  Make sure
->that your Devices and Dialers files are correct - in every case, that is
->where the changes are made to correct the above mentioned trouble.
->
->It seems that the script that AT&T put in for their own 2224CEO gives you
->only *one* choice, yet the modem/BNU can be optioned for about six different
->modes (e,g,u).  Hack away at those two files.  One symptom is that 'cu'
->works fine both in/out, and that you can send files but not receive (on
->about 50% of the cases.)

Thanks to everyone that responded here.   It turned out to be the AT&T 2224CEO
modem.  Once I went out to the other site, I noticed it defaults to provide
Xon/Xoff on the modem side, and the Dialers script does not turn it off.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal