[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Autoboot on Xenix

ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) (04/03/91)

Greetings -

		I am interested in haveing a SCO Xenix 286 System be
	self-rebootable, such that in the event of a system crash ;-(
	or power outage (extended), the box would just restart itself without
	human intervention.

		I have looked at autoboot(ADM), boot(HW), default(F)
	and filesys(F), but I am unable to get the right combination of
	variables.

		Could some one tell me if this is posible and how it is done?

				Thanks,
					\Ethan\

PS I would also like to know the options to mknod for createing /dev/scratch

--
     "If everyone swept his own doorstep, the whole world would be clean"
                           A Chinese proverb

basien@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Tillmann A. Basien) (04/04/91)

ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) writes:

>		I have looked at autoboot(ADM), boot(HW), default(F)
>	and filesys(F), but I am unable to get the right combination of
>	variables.
Do you set the timeout in /etc/default/boot
Here is my file:

#	@(#) boot.dfl 1.7 89/01/31
#
#
#	      UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T
#		Portions Copyright 1976-1989 AT&T
#	Portions Copyright 1980-1989 Microsoft Corporation
#    Portions Copyright 1983-1989 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc
#		      All Rights Reserved

#	@(#)init:boot.dfl	1.2
#
DEFBOOTSTR=hd(40)unix
AUTOBOOT=YES
FSCKFIX=YES
MULTIUSER=YES
PANICBOOT=NO
MAPKEY=YES
SERIAL8=YES
TIMEOUT=10

My system is coming up in 10 secondes.

>PS I would also like to know the options to mknod for createing /dev/scratch
I think you need /dev/scratch because your root file system is very big.
/dev/scratch is only some memory. It can be a floppy disk or a part of your
harddisk.
So, if you install a new system with a great harddisk, reserve about 1200
blocks in divvy and set the name of this part to scratch. Don't set the
flag to creat a filesystem, this part of the harddisk is like the swap
space.

If you alread has the the part on your hard disk, but no /dev/scratch
(because you deleted or so) the following command will set your entry
	mknod /dev/scratch b 1 40+offset
offset it the slot in the divvy table

Hope this helps
Tillmann

>--
>     "If everyone swept his own doorstep, the whole world would be clean"
>                           A Chinese proverb
>  Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM _____ 1.301.652.0651 _____ {uunet,anagld}!thinc!ethan
>  Tomorrow's Horizons, Inc. 4807 Bethesda Ave, #330, Bethesda, MD 20814-5299
--
					             basien@PEM-Stuttgart.de
Dipl.-Ing. Tillmann A. Basien           PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft

macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) (04/09/91)

In article <19621128@thinc.COM>
ethan@thinc.COM (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM) wrote:

| Greetings -

Re... :)

| 		I am interested in haveing a SCO Xenix 286 System be
| 	self-rebootable, such that in the event of a system crash ;-(

I think the only thing you have to do is adding the following entry to
/etc/default/boot:

	TIMEOUT=120
	        ^^^

	         +---- number of seconds to wait at each prompt

This is enough for self-rebooting after a "sync; reboot" or a power
fail. You may decide to change the PANICBOOT from NO to YES but I
think you'll loose some interesting messages on the system console
when the system comes up again.

| PS I would also like to know the options to mknod for createing /dev/scratch

Hm... I think that's not necessary to create /dev/scratch. As far as I
remember the system uses /dev/swap (or something else :>) when auto-booting.
(BTW I'm running SCO Unix and I think the major/minor device numbers are
 _not_ the same for SCO Xenix... sorry)

Rgds

--
Uwe Obst             # {connor|macleod}@cmllab.rgb.sub.org
(aka Connor MacLeod) # "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr09.005151.2635@cmllab.rgb.sub.org>
  macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:

> | PS I would also like to know the options to mknod for createing /dev/scratch
>
> Hm... I think that's not necessary to create /dev/scratch. As far as I
> remember the system uses /dev/swap (or something else :>) when auto-booting.
> (BTW I'm running SCO Unix and I think the major/minor device numbers are
>  _not_ the same for SCO Xenix... sorry)

No, the system does need /dev/scratch if your root filesystem is
larger than a certain size.  (I don't know what the size is, but
a 25 MB filesystem doesn't need it and a 40 MB filesystem does.)
If you root system doesn't need it you can get by without one quite
easily; any filesystems other than root can use a file on the root
partition for scratch instead.  Another option is to keep a floppy
in your B drive and use /fd1 as your scratch device.

cjs
--
curt@cynic.uucp         | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca |    --Berkeley Mail Reference Manual (Kurt Schoens)

macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.061740.409@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca>
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) wrote:

| In article <1991Apr09.005151.2635@cmllab.rgb.sub.org>
|   macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:
|
| > | PS I would also like to know the options to mknod for createing /dev/scratch
| >
| > Hm... I think that's not necessary to create /dev/scratch. As far as I
| > remember the system uses /dev/swap (or something else :>) when auto-booting.
| > (BTW I'm running SCO Unix and I think the major/minor device numbers are
| >  _not_ the same for SCO Xenix... sorry)
|
| No, the system does need /dev/scratch if your root filesystem is
| larger than a certain size.

So... If this is right what about creating a link /dev/scratch -> /dev/swap?
I don't think that /dev/swap is used during autoboot (am I wrong?).

Rgds

--

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr13.132140.1794@cmllab.rgb.sub.org>
  macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:

> So... If this is right what about creating a link /dev/scratch -> /dev/swap?
> I don't think that /dev/swap is used during autoboot (am I wrong?).

You may be right, but why risk it?  /dev/swap is used by the OS
whenever it needs it when the OS is running, whether during boot or
not.  Now, if you've got any reasonable amount of memory it is highly
unlikely that you would swap anything during the boot.  But you might.
If it does swap, it's guarenteed to crash your system and it will
quite possibly corrupt your root filesystem.

I'd advise just keeping your root filesystem small.  The only reason
mine is 25 MB is because I don't keep a seperate partition for my /pub
directory.  (I've got complete control over what goes in there, so I
don't need to worry about overflow.)  Under Xenix, a 12 MB or so root
should be plenty (assuming seperate /tmp, /usr, /u, etc.).

cjs