[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Incomplete Xenix- Help?

v127p9xg@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Robert J Miskines) (04/20/91)

I recently purchased from a friend a copy of 'Xenix Sys V Operating System
v2.1'. I found it to be incomplete. The disks I have are all 360k 5.25's, I
have:

'Operating System'    B1-B3
                      X1-X6

'Games v1.0'

To install, I need disks N1-N5. (assuming 360k version). Disk X7 is also
missing. He had purchased it from someone with a 'questionable reputation',
so I am hesitant to try to deal with SCO.

A few questions.. some very basic, one case-specific.

Does Xenix have (or have available) the option to open a 'Dos Window', so I can
run more than one MS-DOS task at once?

I have 4 megs on my '286. I assume no problems accessing this extended mem?

If the responses to the above are favorable.. Id like to install this.. Any
suggestions on where I could purchase <JUST> the needed disks?

I hear V2.1 is old.. are the updates significant enough to warrant jdumping
this whole ver and buying a new copy?

Robert J Miskines
V127P9XG @ ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
V127P9XG @ UBVMS.BITNET
miskines @ autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu

splee@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) (04/20/91)

In article <72003@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v127p9xg@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>I recently purchased from a friend a copy of 'Xenix Sys V Operating System
>v2.1'. I found it to be incomplete. The disks I have are all 360k 5.25's, I
>
> ** Stuff deleted **
>
>Does Xenix have (or have available) the option to open a 'Dos Window', so I can
>run more than one MS-DOS task at once?

I assume you are talking about Xenix 286, since you have a 286. Xenix 286
does NOT allow you to run DOS tasks.  To do that, you need a 386, Xenix 386
or similiar and a package like VP/ix or DosMerge or SimulTask, which is extra.

>I have 4 megs on my '286. I assume no problems accessing this extended mem?

Correct

>If the responses to the above are favorable.. Id like to install this.. Any
>suggestions on where I could purchase <JUST> the needed disks?
>
>I hear V2.1 is old.. are the updates significant enough to warrant jdumping
>this whole ver and buying a new copy?

Given that you don't have an installable set anyway, it doesn't seem like
you have much choice.

--
Seng-Poh Lee
splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu

alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) (04/21/91)

In article <72003@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v127p9xg@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Robert J Miskines) writes:
$
$ I recently purchased from a friend a copy of 'Xenix Sys V Operating System
$ v2.1'. I found it to be incomplete. The disks I have are all 360k 5.25's, I
$ have:
$ 'Operating System'    B1-B3
$                       X1-X6
$ 'Games v1.0'
$ To install, I need disks N1-N5. (assuming 360k version). Disk X7 is also
$ missing. He had purchased it from someone with a 'questionable reputation',
$ so I am hesitant to try to deal with SCO.

Unfortunately, the N1 boot disk, as well as the activation key (A pink/green
/white card with a serial number and alpha-key on it) are sort of the
"proof of purchase" for XENIX. I don't think you'll have much luck updating
it without them.

I believe the current release of XENIX for 286 is 2.3.2, several revisions
after 2.1.?.
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan@mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >