[comp.unix.xenix.sco] lpr

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (04/24/91)

I'm using Racal/Interlan tcp/ip hard/software (NP621-386) with my Xenix
2.3.2 system. Most everything worls toelrably well. But I'm surprised to
note what seems to be a serious omission. No support for a remote printer (a
la printcap under BSD). Now, I have the tcp/ip software for the same board
to run under MS-DOS and Interlan DOES supply an lpr command that permits
queing to a remote print server. Why not under Xenix?

FYI, I plan to take this up with my Interlan dealer as well, but I took it
to the 'net because I'm more optimistic of getting some sort of real result
this way. Maybe it's better to buy direct from Interlan than from a dealer
-- then you can at least wait on hold trying to get phone support!

Any contribution to my knowledge base would be appreciated.

Travis
tbissett@nstar.rn.com

P.S. oops! Apologies for the typos above (lousy darn on-line editor %$#@).

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (04/24/91)

In article <PN0u11w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
>I'm using Racal/Interlan tcp/ip hard/software (NP621-386) with my Xenix
>2.3.2 system. Most everything worls toelrably well. But I'm surprised to
>note what seems to be a serious omission. No support for a remote printer (a
>la printcap under BSD). Now, I have the tcp/ip software for the same board
>to run under MS-DOS and Interlan DOES supply an lpr command that permits
>queing to a remote print server. Why not under Xenix?

I recently made an lprclient available for Xenix on unix.oakland.edu
(141.210.180.2) in the directory /pub/xenix/lprclient.  It is accessed
through the lp schedular.  (Oh, that is available through anonymous ftp).

The program is the lpr example in Steven's Unix Networking book, as
modified by Cayman for use with Gatorboxes and printers, as modified by
me to run under Xenix.  Binaries are ava{lable there too for those without
development systems.  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@vela.oakland.edu      |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@vela.UUCP             |