[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Garbled output installing xenix

MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) (04/24/91)

Hi all..  I am running a 386SX compatible with a Trident 8800 series
video card and Imtec 1453Q monitor.  I recently bought a used version
of xenix (I got 286 version because, you guessed it, it was CHEAP!  :-)
Anyways, on installation, the BOOT: prompt comes up fine, but then
when I press return like the manual says, and it *should* be doing
a hardware check, a bunch of garbage flashes across the screen and
it makes weird noises.  I read through the Troubleshooting section
and it said the most likely cause of this is an incompatible video
card, and Trident is NOT listed under the compatible list.. :(
My question is this, has anyone else had this problem with Trident
cards and if so, how did you fix it?   Any help would be greatly
appreciated..  Thanks much!!

--Matt
#include <standisc.h>                      MSR113@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
                                           richmond@barad-dur.endor.cs.psu.edu
"That which does not kill us,              mattsr@vivaldi.psu.edu
 makes us strong."  --from Conan the Barbarian

glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen Barney) (04/24/91)

In article <91113.131135MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu>, MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) writes:
> Hi all..  I am running a 386SX compatible with a Trident 8800 series
> video card and Imtec 1453Q monitor.  I recently bought a used version
> of xenix (I got 286 version because, you guessed it, it was CHEAP!  :-)

You must have the 386 version of Xenix to run on a 386.  Xenix-286 will not
run on a 386-based system.
--
**  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  **
Glen Barney 301-258-5338               It'll take time, but we're going far,

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (04/25/91)

glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen Barney) writes:

> In article <91113.131135MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu>, MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) writes:

> You must have the 386 version of Xenix to run on a 386.  Xenix-286 will not
> run on a 386-based system.

You're WRONG.  I ran SCO 286 2.2.1 for a year on a 386 box.  No hassle.

I didn't see the original article, but from the Subject: line, it might
be related to the fact that older Xenixes didn't hack VGA, so it might
be worth trying out swapping the video for a mono/hercules or ega,
but I'm guessing.

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

wul@sco.COM (Wu Liu) (04/26/91)

/--MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) said...
| Hi all..  I am running a 386SX compatible with a Trident 8800 series
| video card and Imtec 1453Q monitor.  I recently bought a used version
| of xenix (I got 286 version because, you guessed it, it was CHEAP!  :-)
| Anyways, on installation, the BOOT: prompt comes up fine, but then
| when I press return like the manual says, and it *should* be doing
| a hardware check, a bunch of garbage flashes across the screen and
| it makes weird noises.  I read through the Troubleshooting section
| and it said the most likely cause of this is an incompatible video
| card, and Trident is NOT listed under the compatible list.. :(
| My question is this, has anyone else had this problem with Trident
| cards and if so, how did you fix it?   Any help would be greatly
| appreciated..  Thanks much!!
|
| --Matt
\--

I believe that versions of Xenix prior to 2.3 do not support VGA cards
at all.  If you want to use a VGA card with Xenix 2.2 or earlier
systems, you'll have to set the card to default to EGA or CGA mode.

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (04/27/91)

In article <554@sungate.UUCP>, glen@sungate.UUCP (Glen Barney) writes:
> In article <91113.131135MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu>, MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) writes:
> > Hi all..  I am running a 386SX compatible with a Trident 8800 series
> > video card and Imtec 1453Q monitor.  I recently bought a used version
> > of xenix (I got 286 version because, you guessed it, it was CHEAP!  :-)
>
> You must have the 386 version of Xenix to run on a 386.  Xenix-286 will not
> run on a 386-based system.
> --
> **  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  --*--  **
> Glen Barney 301-258-5338               It'll take time, but we're going far,
> InterNet: glen%sungate@uunet.UU.NET     you and me, I know we are.  In time,
> BangPath: uunet!sungate!glen       we'll be dancing in the streets all night

eh, I think you got it bassackwards

286 WILL run on 386
386 will NOT run on 286.

-