[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO and Internet

tortajad@sunny9.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) (04/27/91)

I am thinking of setting up a SCO system. I have the following equipment:

	386 25 MHZ
	8 Meg ram (Max for board)
	335 MB ESDI  32k Cache Card
	Diamond Speedstar VGA (1 meg)
	Goldstar 14" 1024 X 768 monitor

What I need to know is this.

1. Is this enough hardware to run Xwindows single user.

2. Is X windows usable on a 14" monitor?

3. Is it possible to get on this network (news and email) from home?

4. Can I run a bbs so other users can get on the News & Email?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all information.

Bob Tortajada

P.S. I have never set up a unix system before, but I guess SCO would be the
     software of choice.

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr26.203944.3213@ge-dab.GE.COM> tortajad@sunny9.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) writes:

| I am thinking of setting up a SCO system. I have the following equipment:

|	386 25 MHZ
|	8 Meg ram (Max for board)
|	335 MB ESDI  32k Cache Card
|	Diamond Speedstar VGA (1 meg)
|	Goldstar 14" 1024 X 768 monitor

| 1. Is this enough hardware to run Xwindows single user.

Sure.

| 2. Is X windows usable on a 14" monitor?

At 800x600.  1024x768 is marginally useful on a 16" monitor.

| 3. Is it possible to get on this network (news and email) from home?

Yes.

| 4. Can I run a bbs so other users can get on the News & Email?

Sure, check out alt.bbs.

BTW, the major weak point in your setup is the VGA card.
It's not on my list of supported SCO stuff, so you might end
up replacing it.  I've been pretty happy with a $200 Video 7
1024i at 800x600.  It'll do 1kx768, but that's just too
small on a 14" monitor.

| P.S. I have never set up a unix system before, but I guess SCO would be the
|     software of choice.

I vote for SCO.

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

ralfi@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) (04/29/91)

tortajad@sunny9.DAB.GE.COM (Robert Tortajada) writes:

>I am thinking of setting up a SCO system. I have the following equipment:

>	386 25 MHZ
>	8 Meg ram (Max for board)
>	335 MB ESDI  32k Cache Card
>	Diamond Speedstar VGA (1 meg)
>	Goldstar 14" 1024 X 768 monitor

>What I need to know is this.

>1. Is this enough hardware to run Xwindows single user.

Barely yes. A few Megs more of memory, and you would be really happy.

>2. Is X windows usable on a 14" monitor?

Yes, quiet nicely. You can even define a 'virtual screen' bigger than
the physical screen and then scoll.

>3. Is it possible to get on this network (news and email) from home?

Yes. The news binaries are completely and free available from SCO or
your dealer as a SLS (Support Level Supplement). Email works very nice
with MMDF.

>4. Can I run a bbs so other users can get on the News & Email?

'Course you can.

>P.S. I have never set up a unix system before, but I guess SCO would be the
>     software of choice.

Should be no problem, if you know a bit about UNIX.

Regards

Ralf.
--
  PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft    |         Ralf U. Holighaus
        fuer Microcomputer mbH            |         Technical Support