[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Databus runtime under SCO Vpix 1.2

news@sfrmc.UUCP (UUNET News Administrator) (04/26/91)

Hello,

	We have had some difficulty with VPIX 1.2 running under SCO XENIX
2.3.3i and SCO UNIX 3.2r2.  There is a company that has written a compiler
for MSDOS called databus (Datapoint folks will remember this).  This is an
intrepretive compiler that produces a p-code and then a runtime executes it.
At any rate, when programs are ran in the VPIX environment and a file is
updated, the runtime returns an error saying, "Invalid End Of File
Encountered".  I talked with the company that wrote the compiler and even
talked with SCO tech support but the only thing that I got was that it would
not work under VPIX and was a known ?bug?.  SCO did however say that someone
in Europe had discovered a fix or a workaround but I didn't get any names.
If anyone might have an idea, please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any
help.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Brian L. Allen          St. Francis Regional Medical Center  ballen@sfrmc.uucp|
|System Administrator    929 N. St. Francis                   OFF:(316)268-5091|
|Department of Planning  Wichita, Kansas  67214               FAX:(316)268-8694|
|            ________________________________________________________          |
 \_________|Opinions Expressed Here are my own and NOT of St. Francis|________/
           |_________________________________________________________|

jis@intsys.no (Jan Ivar Soerby) (04/29/91)

news@sfrmc.UUCP (UUNET News Administrator) writes:

>Hello,

>	We have had some difficulty with VPIX 1.2 running under SCO XENIX
>2.3.3i and SCO UNIX 3.2r2.  There is a company that has written a compiler
>for MSDOS called databus (Datapoint folks will remember this).  This is an
>intrepretive compiler that produces a p-code and then a runtime executes it.
>At any rate, when programs are ran in the VPIX environment and a file is
>updated, the runtime returns an error saying, "Invalid End Of File
>Encountered".  I talked with the company that wrote the compiler and even
>talked with SCO tech support but the only thing that I got was that it would
>not work under VPIX and was a known ?bug?.  SCO did however say that someone
>in Europe had discovered a fix or a workaround but I didn't get any names.
>If anyone might have an idea, please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any
>help.

This might have something to do with the special file format used by Datapoint
DOS. In Datapoint DOS EOF is represented by writing zeroes to the start of the
last sector of the file. An implication of this is that you can have more than
one EOF in the file or none at all. A file with no EOF can be used randomly,
but if you read it sequentially and hit the physical end of the file you will
get an "Unexpected EOF" message.

Although advertising is not so welcome on the net, I use the opportunity to
inform you that we have developed a Databus environment running among others on
most Unix System.V. platforms and emulating both DOS and RMS Databus.

--
Jan Ivar Soerby        Voice +47 2 371055       International Systems A/S
jis@intsys.no          Fax   +47 2 356448       P.O. Box 3356