[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Dell tape drive with Xenix?

  Has anyone been able to use the Dell 150MB tape drive (Wangtek) with
Xenix, and if so what's the secret? I configured the type as W, i/o
ports, interrupt and DMA, but the device is still not found. Is this OEM
drive hacked to the point where it won't work with standard drivers, or
is there some subtle trick needed to get it working?

  I've tried the i/o address under a debugger and I have the correct
address, and am using the same int 5 DMA 1 I use for both Archive and
Wangtek on my home systems.
        "Most of the VAX instructions are in microcode,
         but halt and no-op are in hardware for efficiency"

sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) (05/06/91)

From our understanding, SCO has had a fix available for a "while"
which is number : xnx149, to deal with this. The fix specifically
is for customers who have the *single* chip Wangtek controller,
which is shipped from DELL.

If you're experiencing a problem such as this, contact SCO
technical support for further assistance.....

--
Steve Blair	DELL	UNIX	DIVISION sblair@upurbmw.dell.com

alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) (05/07/91)

In article <3402@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   Has anyone been able to use the Dell 150MB tape drive (Wangtek) with
> Xenix, and if so what's the secret? I configured the type as W, i/o
> ports, interrupt and DMA, but the device is still not found. Is this OEM
> drive hacked to the point where it won't work with standard drivers, or
> is there some subtle trick needed to get it working?

Hmmm. We do it all the time in Dell as well as other machines. "mkdev tape"
should look like:

	Tape Parameters		Values	Comments
	---------------         ------	--------
	1. Controller Type	3	1 = type A, 3 = type W, 4 = type E,
					5 = type M, 6 = type T or 7 = type X
	2. DMA Channel		1	1 or 3
	3. Interrupt Vector	5	logical vector number
	4. Base Address		0338H	i/o addresses start here

	Zero Values Imply Auto-Configuration

Maybe there is something special about the 0x338 address. I recall some
difficulty trying to use 0x300.

Oh. Now that I think about it, if the pins on the bus card point up
(as opposed to out), you have the "Wangtek/Tecmar Single-Chip Tape Controller"
and will need to either XNX155B or XNX149 your XENIX.
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan@mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >