[comp.unix.xenix.sco] /etc/passwd permissions

kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Ken McVay) (05/16/91)

With /etc/passwd readable by everyone, it can be send uucp by anyone
with a shell account. Granted, encryption provides some protection, but
would it hurt anything to simply set the perms to r--r----- root root?

/bin/passwd runs suid root, as does su - while 'l' and similar utilities
do not, and show only the owner's userid #, rather than the owner's name.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd like to learn a great deal more
about protecting the system before I'll be comfortable with shell
accounts... any suggestions regarding the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files, and others?

--
Public Access UUCP/UseNet (Waffle/XENIX 1.64) | kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca|
    TB+: 604-753-9960  2400: 604-754-9964     | ..van-bc!oneb!kmcvay    |

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.214600.6733@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca> kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Ken McVay) writes:
>With /etc/passwd readable by everyone, it can be send uucp by anyone
>with a shell account. Granted, encryption provides some protection, but
>would it hurt anything to simply set the perms to r--r----- root root?
>
>/bin/passwd runs suid root, as does su - while 'l' and similar utilities
>do not, and show only the owner's userid #, rather than the owner's name.

This is why some systems instituded a /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow scheme.
/etc/passwd is just like it always was except that the passowrd field now
has an x in it.  /etc/shadow (ls -l -> -r-------- root sys) contains the
name followed by the encrypted password (plus other stuff) (like /etc/passwd
use to).

Many commands look at /etc/passwd (like the l, ls, uucico, id, ps, crash and
others), so by making /etc/passwd -r--r----- root/root many of these applications
may start breaking.

Sincerely,

John Ben Urban