[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Node name for Xenix 2.3.3

michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) (04/30/91)

I have a problem I don't really understand. I have installed a database
package on my machine - an AST 386 with 9 meg ram and a 300 meg drive -
under SCO Xenix 2.3.2 upgraded to 2.3.3 with the xnx155b from the sosco
machine. The new package required that the node name be set in the kernal.
I tried using /usr/sys/conf/configure to add the node name, but something
broke and configure died doing some kind of assembly. I found that an entry
for node name of wshb was in /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf, but wasn't  sure
that was the only change which needed to occur. I retried configure
in an attempt to remove the node name, but it took my null entry as
accepting the default, ie. the currently installed name. Well, I edited
/usr/sys/conf/xenixconf by hand to remove the node name and reran configure
to set it to wshb again. Configure bombed again.

After such a frustrating time I looked around the directory and noticed
a makefile. As it seemed to call cc to rebuild space.o I decided
this is the assemble that had bombed during configure and tried running
make. The assembler appeared to fire up and run correctly, producing a
new space.o. (What does space.o have to do with the node name?)

After this I ran link_xenix. Well, the new kernal is about 85K smaller the the
old kernal. I can't see what's missing. I looked at the ld command and it
appears all of the drivers were called during the relink. I did a strings
on both the old kernal and the new kernal and found lots of references to
baud rates were missing in the new kernal. Here is a diff between the strings:

1c1
< G;=P'
---
> G;=0O
18a19
> unknown
21d21
< unknown
38a39
> wshb
916,946d916
< error log overflow
< error log buffer overflow
< B110
< B134
< B150
< B300
< B600
< B1200
< B2400
< B4800
< B9600
< EXTA
< EXTB
< PARENB
< PARODD
< CSTOPB
< Diskinfo table overflow
< disk
< type=%s unit=%d cyls=%d hds=%d secs=%d
< Invalid partition sector on hard disk
< on fixed disk ctlr=%d dev=%u/%u block=%D cmd=%x
< status=%x, sector=%D, cylinder/head = %d/%d
< Can't exec /etc/init
< /dev/console
< page table under page table?
< called to load impure 386
< impcode
< more than 1 data segment?
< impcode
< invalid page (%x, %x)
< preload

The thing I don't understand is that everything seems to work OK.

Thanks,
Michael
--
Michael Batchelor--Systems/Operations Engineer #compliments and complaints
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of   #   letterbox@csms.com

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (05/01/91)

michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:

> The new package required that the node name be set in the kernal.
> I tried using /usr/sys/conf/configure to add the node name, but something
> broke and configure died doing some kind of assembly. I found that an entry
> for node name of wshb was in /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf, but wasn't  sure
> that was the only change which needed to occur.

Yeah, configure doesn't like nodenames less than 5 characters long.
Anyone know if this is "fixed in the next release" ?

> After such a frustrating time I looked around the directory and noticed
> a makefile.
  [ he ran this OK then ]
> After this I ran link_xenix. Well, the new kernal is about 85K smaller the the
> old kernal. I can't see what's missing.

Nothing's missing.  There's two ways that you can make your kernel, and
using the C compiler results in a stuff going into BSS that would go
into DATA if you didn't.  If you don't use the C Compiler, configure
(or actually config) is used to generate assembly files, and a mini
assembler (/usr/lib/storel) is used to assemble them.  If you use the
C compiler, configure is used to generate C files instead of assembler files.

If you're making a root/boot floppy, using a kernel that's made with "make"
rather than "link_xenix" is much better because it's a lot smaller and
that gives you room to put more useful programs on the floppy.

Yes, the nodename is compiled/assembled into the kernel.

Don't worry, be happy.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

jjr@cdffp.uucp ( Joe Rackelmann ) (05/17/91)

In article <1055@wshb.csms.com> michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:
>I have a problem I don't really understand. I have installed a database
>package on my machine - an AST 386 with 9 meg ram and a 300 meg drive -
>under SCO Xenix 2.3.2 upgraded to 2.3.3 with the xnx155b from the sosco
>machine. The new package required that the node name be set in the kernal.
>I tried using /usr/sys/conf/configure to add the node name, but something
>broke and configure died doing some kind of assembly. I found that an entry
>for node name of wshb was in /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf, but wasn't  sure
>that was the only change which needed to occur. I retried configure
>in an attempt to remove the node name, but it took my null entry as
>accepting the default, ie. the currently installed name. Well, I edited
>/usr/sys/conf/xenixconf by hand to remove the node name and reran configure
>to set it to wshb again. Configure bombed again.
>
>After such a frustrating time I looked around the directory and noticed
> [rest deleted]

In playing around with this very problem, I bumbled onto the fact that
this assembler barfs on node names less than 5 characters and more than 8.
In other words, run configure and use a name of 5 to 8 chars in length
(maybe wsh.UUCP ??)  and you'll see that it assembles fine.

Just another SCO-ism, I guess...
--
Time, takes time.
Joe Rackelmann         California Department of Forestry      (916) 322-7874

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (05/19/91)

In article <1055@wshb.csms.com> michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:

>in an attempt to remove the node name, but it took my null entry as
>accepting the default, ie. the currently installed name. Well, I edited
>/usr/sys/conf/xenixconf by hand to remove the node name and reran configure
>to set it to wshb again. Configure bombed again.

Borrowed from the SCO Support BBS.  IMHO the best thing that
SCO has ever done for the (technical) users.  JL

Configure(ADM) fails when I try to modify my "System Name"

KEYWORDS: value of configure system name node space.asm compilation error assembler xenix out range link kernel

RELEASE:  SCO XENIX 386 Operating System Release 2.3.0, 2.3.1, and 2.3.2

PROBLEM:  When modifying the "System Name" within configure(ADM), the
	  following error will occur if the number of characters in the
	  name is 2, 3, or 4 characters long.

	" 0048  FF 00				_node  db	NODE, 00H
	  space.asm(XXX): error A2050: Value out of range

	    XXX Bytes symbol space free

	      0 Warning Errors
	      1 Severe Errors
	  error in compilation, terminating. "

SOLUTION: One way to avoid this problem is to use system names that are
	  0, 1, or 5 to 8 characters long.  Only system names that are 2,
	  3 or 4 characters long will fail to compile correctly.  The
	  maximum number of characters in a system name is 8.  This bug
	  has been reported to our engineering department and will be fixed
	  in a later release.

	  If the development system is installed, there is a workaround
	  to allow 2,3 or 4 character system names.  There are two files
          that should be edited, /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf and /usr/conf/master.
          In the "master" file, look for the following entry:

		nodename	NODE		""

	  Use vi or your favorite editor to enter your system name between
	  the double quotes.  Save the file.  Next edit the "xenixconf" file
   	  and look for the following entry:

	 	nodename 	""

	  Again, enter the system name between the double quotes and save
	  the file.

	  Then type the following at a # prompt:

		cd /usr/sys/conf
		./make (this will take a few minutes)
		./hdinstall
		shutdown

  	  To verify everything is correct, at a # prompt type:

		uname -a

Not assocaited, employable, or in any obvious way connected with SCO.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave     Ben Lomond    CA  95005
# 408.336.2558  voice           WB6SSY @ KI6EH.#NOCAL.CA.USA   packet radio